Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 36 EL Motor/Tranny on EBay

Re: 36 EL Motor/Tranny on EBay

Quote Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
    Thank you, Chuck. I agree it would be good having some commentary added to the photo gallery. Even something like ‘Too high for a 65 Pan’ would let people know there was at least one thing unusual about 65FLH27125. Also info could be added about its 2s, 7 and 1 because they are not consistent with factory stamping for a 65 Pan.

Regarding 41FL3553, a comment about its round-top 3s would be a start and maybe the left case could be pointed out because it looks like the second long-rib version.

Also a thread could be started here on CAI and then there would be plenty of room if people wanted to ask for even more info about VAM case numbers, non-factory or otherwise.

In the meantime there is another photo on page 6 which is unclear. It’s said to be 65FLH3997 but the first sequence character looks like 5? Is anyone able to provide a clearer picture because I’d like a better view of all four sequence characters.
    Eric

http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycle...ers/?g2_page=6
    There is something you need to understand about H-D production numbers. THEY ARE SERIOUSLY FLAWED. They had never kept production numbers. So when the Company President wanted production numbers an employee looked into the Presidents Reports To The Shareholders to get the figures. The problem is The report says there were 11,123 motorcycles built in a year. So that is the figure they now publish. The problem is that Presidents Report tells you how many motorcycles were built in that calendar year. That would be the last half of that year models and the first half of the next years model. So don't take those numbers as being chiseled in stone.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    Eric, on the VAM site, once you open the photo to a larger view look above the photo for a box. It gives the option to view a larger version of the same photo. Or you can just click the photo again to enlarge it. The number in question does appear to me to be a 3.
    Thanks Morgan. I know about the option for a larger version of some photos. That character appears to have a flat top but if it is 3 then where is its diagonal? I donít see a diagonal in that character.

And what about the next two characters? Itís hard to be sure about them because the photo isnít clear. If they are 9s, what type are they?
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    There is something you need to understand about H-D production numbers. THEY ARE SERIOUSLY FLAWED. They had never kept production numbers. So when the Company President wanted production numbers an employee looked into the Presidents Reports To The Shareholders to get the figures. The problem is The report says there were 11,123 motorcycles built in a year. So that is the figure they now publish. The problem is that Presidents Report tells you how many motorcycles were built in that calendar year. That would be the last half of that year models and the first half of the next years model. So don't take those numbers as being chiseled in stone.

I am well aware factory figures are flawed. Iíve been saying it for many years and you know I have. One such occasion was in Sept 2015. Remember? The 2015 thread was also when I commented on six VAM case numbers, including 65FLH27125. Remember?

Are you suggesting 27125 is good for a 65 Pan? I donít think it is. Itís too high for me to consider it authentic unless I see evidence to the contrary. Also as I mentioned earlier, its 2s, 7 and 1 are not consistent with factory stamping for a 65 Pan.
    Eric

Thread Information