Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking intake advice needed

Leaking intake advice needed

So I'm fighting leaking intake seals on my 47fl. I have a new intake from Carls and peak seals as well. I hit 5 psi on my pressure test and I start getting bubbles around the seal area. Any advice on how to get these damn things to seal up?

Re: Leaking intake advice needed

Quick search and I see colony makes an oring conversion kit for them, is this an easier option?

It's important that the PEEK seals are tight on the manifold, and that the manifold is actually round. Also the interface of the flat side of the PEEK seal, where it mates with the intake nipple in the head has to be perfect. If there are defects, gouges, or anything but a flat surface, you won't get a true seal. I would try carefully filing the flat surface on the intake nipple. I would also mark that surface with a magic marker before you start to file it. That way you will see if there are high/low spots on the intake nipples.

I wouldn't mess with the O-ring conversion because you have to remove the nipples in your heads. Taking old nipples out usually makes a mess of the threads on it's way out so you often wind up with a lot more damage than you started with. Also, putting new nipples in is a difficult job to do properly, and often results in new leaks between the head, and nipple. I would keep working with what you have now and preserve the original look.

5. Re: Leaking intake advice needed

The air may be leaking between the head and the insert. Common problem. You will have to try and isolate whether it is the peek seal to insert leaking or the insert to head.

Jerry

Loosen the jugs from the cases before you tighten down the manifold intake nuts. Then tighten down the jugs.

7. Re: Leaking intake advice needed

Go to the AMCA Forum and find Tom Cotten from Liberty. He will re-surface your manifold and make PEEK seals that are a match to your manifold. He is also has a ton other info about sealing manifolds, replacing nipples, etc. He is the man to talk to with this issue. Good luck.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

8. Re: Leaking intake advice needed

I agree with Architect. Go here: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bboard/forum.php and Tom Cotten will respond. Be warned he is a bit of a fussbudget but he does have peek seals on the brain.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    Go to the AMCA Forum and find Tom Cotten from Liberty. He will re-surface your manifold and make PEEK seals that are a match to your manifold. He is also has a ton other info about sealing manifolds, replacing nipples, etc. He is the man to talk to with this issue. Good luck.

Ok thanks for the replies, I should have added I installed new nipples in the heads. I did the Carl's method by bead blasting the nipples and cleaning the heads well, JB welding in the threads and using aluminum rivets. Also the peek seals fit tight on the new manifold. I'm using colony plumbers nuts, but it seems odd the manifold moves quite easily until the nuts are getting pretty tight. So it seems I'm running out of threads on the nipples or the nuts, has this ever been an issue?

I always make my own PEEK seals to match the intake manifolds I have machined to make round. Recently I made new seals for my 1911 Flying Merkel, but I made the seals too long and the intake nut wouldn't compress, and seal correctly. So the dimensions of the PEEK seals are important to your application. Also, the angle of the seal has to match the angle inside the manifold gland nuts. That's not as easy to do as it sounds. That angle is hard to measure and forced me to make a tiny angle tool. Fortunately, PEEK is forgiving enough to take up some irregularities, and slight variations in tolerance. Indianut is one of our members here and he has quite a bit more experience with sealing intakes than me. He has gone back to brass seals as his experience, and expertise has proven to him that brass seals work just as well as the PEEK. Obviously, it is best to make your own seals, but most people don't have access to a lathe. You may want to try your old intake nuts, or find OEM nuts and see if originals do a better job of compressing the PEEK seal.

Glad you successfully installed the nipples. That is not an easy job as you now know

Thread Information