Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discarded frame

1. Discarded frame

A few weeks ago I found this frame under a pile of scrap metal. It had been chopperized in the usual places; I'm calling it a 1950 wishbone. The easy choice would be to sell it as a chopper frame. The right choice is to repair it.

A propane torch and a putty knife removes the heavy bondo.

A nice surprise, the backbone hasn't been damaged badly.

Another surprise, the center tube is also intact.

Re: Discarded frame

It definitely looks salvageable. www.wascoframe.com
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Nice Larry, it looks like a great project!
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

4. Re: Discarded frame

The steering head has been cut and raked. I've decided the best option is to replace rather than repair. I got a V Twin head for a good price. I suspect this is the same part sold by Wasco. I'll also need the top motor mount, lower tank mount, throttle cable tab, timer cable tab, sidecar loops, footboard mounts, coil mounts, fork lock, seat post bushing, steering head bearings, horn mounts, tool box mount. About $900 in parts.

To replace the head, the top tube and down tubes need to be cut, the geometry allows no other way. A Sawzall produces the most accurate cut and the narrowest kerf.

The backbone is cut at the center of the top motor mount. This way the mount reinforces the weld joint. The backbone and gusset tube are a special shape, so they will be reused.

The downtubes are cut just below the head and weld prepped by grinding. The lower tank mount is below the weld joint and will reinforce the repair. The tubing is purchased through ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles.L.Pitts View Post
    The steering head has been cut and raked. I've decided the best option is to replace rather than repair. I got a V Twin head for a good price. I suspect this is the same part sold by Wasco.
    It is NOT the same sold by Wasco. Wasco can most likely restore your head. It would have to be pretty bad for them to have to replace it. Wasco's parts have numbers on them which the V-Twin stuff does not. Do yourself a favor. Call Wasco and have a conversation.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member

6. Re: Discarded frame

Most of Wasco's repair parts are cast and have markings. The steering head is forged and has no markings, just like V Twin. I suppose that it is possible that Wasco invested in the tooling necessary to make forgings, but decided to leave out the markings.

Did you notice that when you cut off the neck that the frame sprung? Now you need the jig to hold everything in the correct position when it is reassembled. Otherwise nothing meaning the engine, is going to fit right. Wasco has the jig.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member

Hallmarks can be replaced, this fella has the technique down.

https://sheetsmachine.com/
    27 JD (almost)

9. Re: Discarded frame

The human eye is very good at recognizing parallelism. I use the rear motor mount as the zero reference. Some straight edges, a framing square, a piece of string, and a tape measure are used to check alignment.

This frame shows evidence of a small accident. The lower left frame rail is bowed, causing the lower left front motor mount to be low. Removing the bow corrects the motor mount.

The axel mounts are slightly tweaked. Correction can cause other parts of the frame to go out of alignment. Go slow and check often.

I perform butt welds with gas backup. That is, the tube is filled with argon, producing the cleanest and strongest weld.

An antenna mast is used to aid alignment during tack welding.

A large pipe wrench is used for final tweaking.

Sure wish we had a like button!!
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Thread Information