Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rest In Peace Peter Fonda

Rest In Peace Peter Fonda

He was a huge influence on my life. After watching Easyrider in 1969 I knew what path my life would take. Rest In Peace Old Friend...
    98 FLSTC TRIKE
    60 VW TRIKE-HOMEMADE
    68 TRIUMPH 650 TIGER CHOPPER

You Ain't A Man Till You've Rode A Pan, I'm A Man...

2. Re: Rest In Peace Peter Fonda

Yes, i felt a slight sense of shock and certainly loss when i read the news of Peter's death. i think Easy Rider was the 2nd movie i watched in my life. The 1st movie was Wild Angels. i ordered both DVD's last evening.

Re: Rest In Peace Peter Fonda

I spent an evening talking to Peter when we were filming "The History of Harley-Davidson and Motorcycling in America". I heard lots of stories about Easy Rider. I got the full story of the four bikes used for filming it and their final disposition. One of the great stories was about how he was breaking in the bikes before production began, and what happened to him.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

4. Re: Rest In Peace Peter Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    I spent an evening talking to Peter when we were filming "The History of Harley-Davidson and Motorcycling in America". I heard lots of stories about Easy Rider. I got the full story of the four bikes used for filming it and their final disposition. One of the great stories was about how he was breaking in the bikes before production began, and what happened to him.
    Chris! ......and what happened to him?

Me too Abone. I still occasionally drive by the building that used to be a theater where I saw the flick in my home town. My like flashes before me every time I do. I know it's why I ended up being a slave to two wheels!

6. Re: Rest In Peace Peter Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Swan View Post
    Lung cancer.

Now what we've got here is failure to communcate...

8. Re: Rest In Peace Peter Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by droptopford View Post
    Now what we've got here is failure to communcate...
    no shit....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Swan View Post
    He would leave his Santa Monica home late at night to put miles on the bikes. His route would be to head North on the 405, South on the 101, West on the I 10, back to North on the 405 again. He would ride the loop for a couple of hours working the bugs out of the bikes. One night while Westbound on the I 10 at about Crenshaw BLVd. LAPD pulled him over. You have to remember this was the late '60's and Peter was wearing his Captain America jacket and riding the chopper. LAPD was infamous for harassing chopper riders in those days. So as the cops shook him down they noticed he didn't have any cash. Never mind the variety of Gold credit cards in his wallet. The arrested him for being a vagrant as he had no cash. The bike was impounded and he was hauled off to the station. The booking Sargent noticed the name Peter Henry Fonda and his Santa Monica address on his drivers license and realized who the beat cops had hauled in. He apologized to Peter, had him transported to his bike and sent on his way. End of story? No! The next night in exactly the same location two different LAPD boys in blue pulled the exact same stunt. When Peter was brought into the station the Sargent spotted him and yelled at the cops "You take that man back to his motorcycle and let him go NOW!".
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Thanks Chris. Cool story.

Thread Information