Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Tranny Mount Hole Issue

45 Tranny Mount Hole Issue

Hello...One of the mounting holes on my '49 45 transmission has been drilled out and re-threaded and those threads don't look so good. I'm pretty sure I see a small crack coming from this hole on one side, tiny as it is. It looks as though the previous owner just used a bigger bolt. Another one of the mount holes looks to have a helicoil kit in it, a bolt will screw down in it easily just seems a little loose. I am hoping someone may share their experience and give me some recommendations on how best to tackle this little problem. Thanks much!

WLtranscase-btm-th.jpg

Re: 45 Tranny Mount Hole Issue

Those holes should have double ended studs in them with flats that locate them in the frame. They help align the gearbox and also prevent bolts screwing in and out of the soft alloy gearbox casting. Someone has made a mess of it. The studs are not intended to be removed.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Well it seems kind of messy to me too. Is it fixable or should I find another case? Also, are the mount holes supposed to go all the way through to the inside of the transmission? Thanks much, Robbie.

These aren't very good pictures but you'll get the idea. The two circles in the one pic are the tops of the studs as installed by the factory looking into the case. The other shows the shouldered area with the flats on the studs. This is an NOS case (nfs) with the factory installed studs.

Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

sixty5pan,
    If you try to install a regular bolt into the helicoiled hole it will go in easy.
    If you install the proper mounting bolt as Rubone described it won't go in easy, it has class a class 5 thread and will be very difficult to install.
    If the other hole has not been drilled out more than the required size for a helicoil, then you can install one.

6. Re: 45 Tranny Mount Hole Issue

Yes a mess. I would start with buying the correct studs so you have a better idea of what you have VS where you need to be. Anything can be fixed by a great machinist, cases are getting expensive, I would pursue fixing it with the right person. Good luck.

Here is a link for one vendor that has the studs:

http://www.45restoration.com/Product..._34725-26.aspx
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

I repaired one just like that a few years ago. The new studs were from Colony. The heli-coil kit will come with the correct drill bit and tap, purchased that from Fastenal. Used heavy duty Loc-tite on the heli-coil and stud. No leaks and so far, so good.

Thanks guys for the input. I think the two holes that are still normal size will work with a helicoil, but the one hole is now 9/16" in diameter and the threads have been pulled out. Could a guy have that welded shut then re-tap the threads, would that work do you think?

Well maybe, the problem is the castings are really quite porous, hard to get it cleaned up enough. When you add heat with welding, the oil comes out and hard to get a good weld. But, your not out anything by giving it a try.

soak in dirty carb cleaner,cleaner cleaner,even cleaner cleaner ,then boil in water..& pray to Ra

Thread Information