Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1948 HD Tools

Re: 1948 HD Tools

I don't believe they came without a tool kit. All H-Ds from early days came with a tool kit as standard. I'll keep looking in my info for definitive proof.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

I don't believe they came without a tool kit. All H-Ds from early days came with a tool kit as standard. I'll keep looking in my info for definitive proof.
    Knuckleheads were so damn reliable tools or repairs were not needed ...
    I have paper, you have more paper, I will stand by ...

This is the only place I've seen tools included with a motorcycle. I know it's a 1950, 45; but I would think the Big Twins would merit a tool kit as well.

I like to see how you get all those tools in the teardrop tool box.......
    1947 EL
    1948 FL Project
    1947WL Project
    2000FLSTC

But there's booze in the blender
    And soon it will render
    That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

You never get better....you just get less awful. "Joe Walsh"

I think the toolkit picture 1950panhead posted would fit in the teardrop toolbox.

John, I can’t say for certain if a 48 Pan had a tool kit as original equipment but I see no evidence yet that it didn’t. And I tend to agree with axeric in that the Big Twins would merit a tool kit as well as a 45.

The hand book below doesn’t include a picture of a tool kit but pages 21 and 31 mention using certain tools furnished in the kit.

My 58–64 FL & FLH hand book is similar, having no picture of a tool kit but it does contain more than one mention about using certain tools furnished in the kit.
    Eric

I realize that this is an older thread, but don't see any update or resolution (here or elsewhere). Hoping my two cents (below) will cause someone who has update or knows the answer to come forward.

As to whether and when tool kits were furnished with new bikes, it looks like new bike tool kits are regularly referenced in HD literature from at least the 1922MY through at least the 1964MY. At to the above discussion of 1950MY tool kits, according to the same marketing material, even 125 models came with a tool kit (“Tool Kit…contains complete set of tools”).

Tool kit references in the literature: (a) include positive references (e.g., to pictured and itemized “Tool Kit and Equipment Furnished with Every New Motorcycle”) and negative disclaimer references (e.g., to specific tools “not supplied with motorcycle tool kit.”); and (b) are found typically in literature such as service manuals, rider handbooks, and instructions and less frequently in marketing material (possibly simply because space was more limited and usually devoted to features that were deemed more important as selling points). The references in the literature are not necessarily consistent (i) for each type or category of literature from year to year or (ii) for each model or all models in any given year.

During the specified time period, certain tool kit references and pictures disappeared from the literature and other tool kit references dwindled and changed (e.g., from references to tools “furnished in tool kit” and “furnished with each motorcycle” to references to tools “obtainable from your dealer … at little cost” and “supplied in rider accessory tool kits”). But, it looks like at least some tool kit references survived through at least the 1964MY (e.g., in rider handbooks).

As to the 1948MY, compare the marketing material below (with no tool kit reference for any applicable model) to the 61/74 OHV rider handbook that Eric posted and the 45SV instructions below (with tool kit references for each applicable model).

As to the 1950MY, note the marketing material below (with tool kit references for 125 and 45SV models but not for other models). As to why tool kits weren’t referenced for 61 or 74 models, it looks like space was limited and devoted to (i) features that weren’t referenced for the 125 and 45SV models (e.g., carburetor) or (ii) larger descriptions of common features (e.g., motor; frame; and front forks).

Note also that, in addition to tool kits, various other features (e.g., speedometer; jiffy stand; handlebars; and fenders) are referenced for the 125 or 45SV models but not for other models. I don’t know if anyone is claiming that new bikes weren’t furnished with handlebars and fenders. Maybe certain models simply had more features to describe; and maybe those models had features (e.g., tool kits) that did not get referenced.

As to whether tool kits were furnished with new bikes after the 1964MY, the rider handbook changed to a different format/type for the 1965MY. I believe that the 1965MY rider handbook (Orig. 6/64 and Rev. 5/65) generally states: “Tools for owner use … are supplied in a tool kit which can be purchased from your Harley-Davidson Dealer.”

I understand that references don’t prove that tool kits were actually furnished. Just like the absence of references doesn't prove that tool kits weren't actually furnished.

Examples/sources to follow.

1948MY Marketing Material - 45SV:

1948MY Marketing Material – 61 and 74:

1948MY Instructions – 45SV (1 of 2):

1948MY Instructions – 45SV (2 of 2):

Additional examples/sources to follow.

1950MY Marketing Material - 125:

1950MY Marketing Material – 45SV:

1950MY Marketing Material - 61:

1950MY Marketing Material – 74: