Thread: 12 V Regulator Replacement - Solid State?

12 V Regulator Replacement - Solid State?

I am looking to replace the fried mechanical Delco-Remy style regulator on my 1965 FLH. I am temporarily running a CE ugly-ass end mount solid state regulator until/unless I can find find a suitable replacement that maintains the original look.

I understand that the original mechanical regulator has a 10A charging limit. The one listed below is for a 12V conversion for ealier 6V applications but was wondering if it would be suitable to use with a 65/65A gen set up? My thought was to hide it under the original Delco cover to keep the proper look.

http://www.flatlandmotorcyclecompany...-Prodview.html

regulator.jpg

Any thoughts?

Re: 12 V Regulator Replacement - Solid State?

I would do a little research. The Cut out style relay you show was not used in '65. I'm not sure ,but it may use the flat solid state one or the large Delco mechanical.Check your shop manual or parts manual.Robbie or someone will be along shortly to confirm or deny.

Quote Originally Posted by chibobber View Post
    I would do a little research. The Cut out style relay you show was not used in '65. I'm not sure ,but it may use the flat solid state one or the large Delco mechanical.Check your shop manual or parts manual.Robbie or someone will be along shortly to confirm or deny.
    I am aware that this was not the style used on the 65. I stated as much. However, my original question was whether it could be used as a hidden substitute for the mechanical regulator. I canít find any specs for this solid state unit so I donít know if itís compatible with this later 12v system or just the converted 6v-12v setup. Seems plausible but Iím donít have any details.

Capture CCI Reg.JPG

This is a nice unit that keeps the og cap design ...

CCI pn 28615
    Last edited by Dragstews; 08-03-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Why not just use another unit (OEM/NOS) rather than the solid state unit?

Sounds great, but good luck finding a NOS Delco-Remy regulator! I've looked everywhere and maybe one will show up somewhere but so far no luck. I know a guy who rebuilds generators and alternators for a living and says the mechanical regulators are notoriously unreliable. I just bought a used OEM Delco unit on Fleabay from Dale Walklser and will bring it to him for bench testing but still have reliability concerns. So my thinking was that if I could hide a more reliable solid state unit under the original cover, I maintain the proper look and also gain reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by gitman View Post
    So my thinking was that if I could hide a more reliable solid state unit under the original cover, I maintain the proper look and also gain reliability.
    See post number 4 ...

Capture CCI Reg.JPG

8. Re: 12 V Regulator Replacement - Solid State?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    See post number 4 ...

Capture CCI Reg.JPG
    I have one of these or something like this on my 52 that was converted to 12 volt. Works great with emergency light battery in Edros replica case. Original regulator still in place, but wires disconnected under regulator where you cannot see them.

I just left the original in it's spot and used a cycle electric solid state one on the end of the genny.. I find it very reliable.

Thread Information