Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anybody using V-Twin's Springer Dual Cam Front Brake Backing Plate?

Re: Anybody using V-Twin's Springer Dual Cam Front Brake Backing Plate?

You can stop now, you're on my ignore list, suggest you do the same before embarrassing yourself again.

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    You can stop now, you're on my ignore list, suggest you do the same before embarrassing yourself again.
    To think I used to have a good opinion of the quality of your posts. But when in the bottom of a hole... You really are proving to be a first-class twit, only shilling books, and unable to brook any inquiry.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

OK boys, back to our original programming.....

Found this old post from 2006 over on the AMCA board. Thought it might be of interest. Thinking Kurt is at Flatland (45 Parts Depot?) and will give them a call next week. Still doesn't tell me if the V-Twin and Flatland products are one and the same, but working on that.

"What I've found since we've been selling these brakes is when a customer has a complaint or poor performance from them, is they don't understand the brake. Although we try to supply an out of the box product, it still takes some adjusting to get it right. I must admit that I've put some time into this also and here's what I've found and it seems to correct most if not all of the problems.

The cams need to be timed....meaning if they do not press the brake shoes against the drum correctly and at a certain time, the pressure exerted will be low. I've found if you time the top cam to start the brake application ahead of the bottom cam slightly....the brake works much better. Don't adjust it too much or it will wear out the shoes on the top end faster.

Another problem we ran into was the aftermarket brake cables. They stretch like a rubber band and never really stop stretching giving the brake a spongy feeling. An NOS or one of our own new cables is a fix for that.

Another problem is when people reuse their original drum and don't dress it. It takes a whole lot of riding for the shoes to wear in. On the same note, people who do dress their drum, fail to notice that there is now a size difference and again the shoes take a long time to seat because they are usually smaller and have limited contact area.

We machine the shoes as close as we can to the size of a new drum so the brake has full contact with the drum surface, but it still takes quite a bit of riding and use for the brake to seat.

All in all, like I said, I've really had no complaints with customers that order direct from me and those who have, have been able to set it up correctly. If you bought it from one of our vendors who carries the product, they haven't said anything to me either.

One side note: yes, we could have made a brake that would lock up the front wheel and as a matter of fact we still have one of the prototype's that did. We opted not to put it into production because if you don't know, we reproduce the Springer forks and know what damage can be caused by a brake that works. I've posted this on another site before in detail, but here's a short version; the left rigid fork leg and left rear rocker stud takes all of the force from the front brake. A big brake that works well will bend the fork leg over time and I felt when we made the decision to lessen the brakes power, it was the right decision and still do to this day. The rear left rocker stud, which is only a 7/16" bolt cannot take the strain that a good brake commands of it and will fail over time, or under extreme use. Even our new disc brake is made so it doesn't lock up the front, but still provides better stopping power than the original brake. If you want to go bigger like some of these 6 piston calipers I've seen on an original Springer, it's your call and your azz in the saddle.

Kurt"

For those that want to see the whole thread: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...Springer-Brake

The cams need to be timed....meaning if they do not press the brake shoes against the drum correctly and at a certain time, the pressure exerted will be low. I've found if you time the top cam to start the brake application ahead of the bottom cam slightly....the brake works much better. Don't adjust it too much or it will wear out the shoes on the top end faster.
    So, my upper cam (front shoe) applies first, being on a 1 3/8" long lever, it is pushed farther through it arc than the rear shoe is on a 2-inch lever, sticking the cam inside out farther in the way of the brake drum spinning in the bike's direction of motion.
    Between that and the exact length of the pushrod between them, sounds to me like I stumbled upon a shade-tree solution to a similar result. But it's just something that works, I guess it's not pretty, without the lever arms all parallel and pretty.
    Last edited by Sarge; 07-21-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    www.37UL.com

I figured out what we just went through. It was a little internet theater. Someone with something for sale threw out a breadcrumb. He can't leave the breadcrumbs out for too long, hardly "permanently," or there would be bits of his livelihood spread over the motorcycle internet he haunts, so like the fake offense that set off this little drama, he gets to take off his "contribution to the discussion." It's whatever you wanna call it. And he adds nothing to the furtherance of what was discussed. Makes his name a synonym for...
    Last edited by Sarge; 07-21-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    www.37UL.com

And my thanks, Wallaman, for finding and re-publishing that 2006 thread!
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    www.37UL.com

Sarge,
    Appreciate the info on your installation. Just trying to see if I can stop a little better... LOL! I'll try and find a little more info out this week from Flatland. If they are the ones that came up with the idea, I'd rather give my money to them than V-Twin. Guess we'll see.

Ride safe.

Thanks, W. I seem to remember buying mine from Flatland, years ago. Maybe it is one of his, whatever the source. Good luck and God bless ya!
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    www.37UL.com

9. Re: Anybody using V-Twin's Springer Dual Cam Front Brake Backing Plate?

I suspect that they're all made in the same factory in Poland.

Anybody mention using a sporter’s clutch cable. It’s a little beefier.

Thread Information