Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: piston buttons

Re: piston buttons

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    "save the PEEK for something that is worthy"
    Ah, the 'save it for good approach'. One of my old bosses used to say "this is not a dress rehearsal, do it while you can".

You're lucky your not buying PEEK over here.

https://au.rs-online.com/web/c/?sra=...earchTerm=PEEK
    Last edited by Peter Cooke; 07-17-2019 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    What’s wrong with bronze?
    Could be a weight thing Rob. It's ~3 times heavier than aluminium.

Pure speculation on my behalf.

My question is why reinvent the wheel? What is wrong with the snap ring method? Are the buttons really an improvement? I am not a machinist or engine builder so I may be missing something. Thanks. John Lindemann

John, I have a few cylinders that are deeply scored by errant wrist pin clips. I think the only clip I would really trust is the 'spirolock' type because they are so damn hard to remove. I'm not an engine builder either, so I'm just looking for idiot proof guidance

Oh, OK. Good luck in your quest for a better way. You may be on to something. I have heard of snaprings failing like you describe. The instances I experienced have been few and far between. I am old fashioned I guess. I imagine some snap rings are faulty and will fail. Any other method will occasionally fail as well if not properly made or installed. Many failures, snap rings and others, are due to poor workmanship. I would never reuse a wrist pin clip but I bet lots have been reused by shadetree mechanics leading to failure. Good luck, I'm sure you will figure it out.

The other thing that concerns me is the snap ring groove in the piston. If the groove isn't deep enough, not of the right profile, and diameter for a particular snap ring, or it has been worn from too many installations. I know; I'm overthinking all this, but I think of the (otherwise) usable early Excelsior cylinder I have that was ruined by a deep groove from a wandering wrist pin.

Yes, I'm sure there are many causes of a wandering wrist pin. I'm also quite sure that most are caused by improper installation or using parts worn beyond spec. What I'm getting at though is no matter what is invented, no matter how good it is, it is prone to fail if not used properly. I'm sure whatever you do will work out just fine because you are doing your homework.

I used to make them of Teflon but a couple years ago I started using aluminum. At least 12 engines with it so far. I mean, the piston is alum, so why not the buttons
    !

I had a shovelhead that lost a retaining clip & tore up the rear cylinder. I found that the rear connecting rod was crooked,putting what I assumed to be undue stress on the clips because the wrist pin wasn't traveling in a straight line with the cylinder,or at least that's what I thought. So whatever you use make sure the rods are straight??
    98 FLSTC TRIKE
    60 VW TRIKE-HOMEMADE
    68 TRIUMPH 650 TIGER CHOPPER

You Ain't A Man Till You've Rode A Pan, I'm A Man...

Thread Information