Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beehive Brouhaha History

Re: Beehive Brouhaha History

Why don't you post it on twitter? POTUS will know what to call it.

Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Why don't you post it on twitter? POTUS will know what to call it. Murray
    Beehives may belong with politics and religion when it comes to best avoided.

Below please find some relevant H-D and non-H-D literature. I don't believe it changes or otherwise affects conventional wisdom, so it shouldn't be controversial. I particularly enjoyed the article from the October 1978 issue of American Motorcyclist.

Motorcyclist (January 1935):

"The tail light lens is of a new beehive design. This accounts for the slightly longer appearance of the tail light assembly. The lens sticks out far enough that it gives warning from the side. No longer need a fellow hang lights over his machine like the running lights on a battleship and place that added wear and tear upon his battery. There is enough bulge to the headlight and to the tail light to make a ‘35 motorcycle easily discernible from the side."

H-D Enthusiast (February 1935):

H-D Accessories Catalog (1934):

H-D Enthusiast (August 1933):

American Motorcyclist (October 1978):

[End]

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Thank you Eric. I trust that this catalog is an OEM catalog or a faithful reproduction of an OEM catalog. This catalog doesn't appear to name, describe, or refer to the 34 Tail Light as a beehive tail light. This catalog appears to confirm my understanding that H-D (a) named the 35 tail light lens (identified initially as 5054-35 in the 1935 parts catalog and later as 5054-20 in subsequent parts catalogs) "Red glass for tail lamp" and (b) described and referred to the 35 tail light lens as a beehive-type lens.

You're welcome. I bought that catalog from Antique Cycle Supply in 2008.

Below is another mention of beehive and this catalog was from H-D. Also with it were some other catalogs and a cross-index of H-D part numbers. (Part number for all the H-D publications combined was 99406-93.)
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
    You're welcome. I bought that catalog from Antique Cycle Supply in 2008. Below is another mention of beehive and this catalog was from H-D. Also with it were some other catalogs and a cross-index of H-D part numbers. (Part number for all the H-D publications combined was 99406-93.) Eric
    Thanks again Eric. I appreciate any and all information I can get my hands on. I am looking to buy parts catalogs and understand that H-D didn't issue a new parts catalog each year and have seen supplements and consolidated and revised catalogs, etc., but it's a bit confusing. I don't mind reprints/repops as long as they are copies or otherwise faithful reproductions of OEM catalogs, but I have been told that some are and some aren't. Is there a definitive list of OEM parts catalogs and/or any other OEM literature that you could point me to as a reference?

P.S. I can't remember for sure who was involved, but I recall reading through a bunch of heavy-duty VIN and/or frame threads that you may have contributed to awhile back. If that was you, thank you. I learned a lot from those threads.

Beehive... turned into a hornets nest!

Fletch,A word from a grumpy old fart.Your posts are very long.If they go much more than 4 lines I don't read them.We have had a couple of members that have done that consistently & lose much of their reputation for it.

7. Re: Beehive Brouhaha History

Thanks Omar, correct you are! Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by duffeycycles View Post
    Fletch,A word from a grumpy old fart.Your posts are very long.If they go much more than 4 lines I don't read them.We have had a couple of members that have done that consistently & lose much of their reputation for it.
    Thanks for letting me know. Appreciate the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by duffeycycles View Post
    This Grumpy Old Fart agrees completely. Keep it short, sweet, and to the point. Of course when I am direct and to the point I am accused of being "Higher Than Thou". :-)
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

search internet "Harley beehive" and you will see what has long been called a beehive tail light even though it is not , as correctly pointed out in the early catalogs on this thread

Thread Information