Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock springer bars & Throttle with S&S Carburetor

Stock springer bars & Throttle with S&S Carburetor

I have stock springer bars and i would like to use a S&S carburetor for my 52 pan. I am curious if this has been done with success. I did a search and did not find any conclusions. I have a couple of ideas.

1) I could keep it a Push system and use the Push Spindles. I would have to secure the outer cable so it points down when it gets to the carburetor and possibly remove the return spring and add a cable stop so it is on the outside of the throttle linkage. I think this is doable but the cable supports would be the challenge.

2) I could get Pull Spindles and replace the stiff wire with a braided cable. I would still have to secure the cable so it points down to the throttle linkage. Secure the cable where it comes through the plunger. I just wonder if the throttle return spring would be strong enough to return the throttle to idle so this would be a safe approach.

If this has been discussed to death i apologize. I did a search and did not find a conclusion.

Re: Stock springer bars & Throttle with S&S Carburetor

I suppose anything is possible. I think you may have problems trying to go to a one cable system.Most modern carbs including S&S use a two cable system for go and return. There were some internal chopper throttle cable kits that might work if you modified your stock bars.(Cut and weld). Google internal throttle kits,a bunch of options shown. Or you can talk to Tom Faber (Faber Cycle) and see what he has or can come up with,probably has tackled this before.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by chibobber; 06-29-2019 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks Chibobber,
    These are Tom's hollywood bars. I do have a call into him. I ran this carb with a single cable and ape hangers with an external chopper style trottel for 20 years. I will try him again next week. I think the trick is in how well the cable is ran.

Bytor,
    Not sure which throttle assembly you have on your bars (pre-49 or one of the post 48 styles), but with either you can use a reverse spiral with a thin braided inner cable. I'm running the early pre-48 style on my '46 Bobber with dual Dellortos (I have a splitter to go from one cable from the handle bar to two for the carbs), and I have a Mikuni on a '59 Sportster. Part of the the "trick" to making these work is to make sure the spiral, plunger, and all the small parts move especially smoothly before you ever install a cable. This may require a little sanding and filing to get everything just right. Then use a very thin braided inner cable (I used the inners from some old BMW Airhead throttle cables I had laying around). Use a very light grease on the throttle assembly and Dryslide or some other graphite lube on the cable. You can actually get a throttle that will return to closed by itself. Not sure how strong the return spring is on the S&S so you may have to add one, but that is the easy part. One last thing to check is that the cable actually moves far enough to fully open the carb at full throttle. Shouldn't be an issue with the disc arrangement on the S&S, but it can be a problem on a large venturi slide type carb.
    Hope that helps.

Chuck S.

Chuck,
    Thanks for the input. I like the idea of working on the fitment of the slide. I assume you used the stock outer cable and only replaced the inner.
    I will use the pre 48 assembly with this plunger
    2.PNG

What did you do at the cable end here?
    1.PNG
    Last edited by bytor; 06-30-2019 at 02:49 PM.

You are correct, I used a stock outer cable for both of mine. At the ends of the cables, I silver soldered some brass cable ends to the braided inner cable. Most custom shops will have the ends or you can order a packet of them directly from Barnett. (Pretty sure Barnett has a minimum order so they may not be the best solution.) Not sure what you need at the end that connects to the S&S. Hope that helps.

Thanks Chuck i will give it a shot. I plan on reaching out to Tom Faber to see if he makes "pull" spirals for springer bars.

Quote Originally Posted by bytor View Post
    Thanks Chuck i will give it a shot. I plan on reaching out to Tom Faber to see if he makes "pull" spirals for springer bars.
    you should be able to just use the spark advance spiral on the throttle side to reverse the action from push to pull.
    btw: i have an s&s carb on my 42 knuckle with stock bars setup to pull with a single cable.

you should be able to just use the spark advance spiral on the throttle side to reverse the action from push to pull.
    That is wrong. The spirals are the same for a right side throttle and normal spark advance, unless you use left side throttle spirals to reverse the direction. Normal spirals push on the right and pull on the left. Left hand throttle pull on the right and push on the left. So for a pull type cable (S&S, Bendix,Keihin, etc,) you need a left side throttle spiral.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Left hand throttle spiral is opposite.

Thread Information