Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Member from Dallas, Texas

Re: New Member from Dallas, Texas

Krikey! Nice pile of goods. Awesome list of collectible machines.

Quote Originally Posted by gitman View Post
    Krikey! Nice pile of goods. Awesome list of collectible machines.
    Thanks. I'm definitely not complaining. I wish that I could have all of them, but I'm very grateful and appreciate what I do have and I'm planning on rebuilding a number of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Choutman View Post
    You have an Indian Chief front girder fork in photo 7
    Apologies for my ignorance, but would you please describe the fork you are referring to? I have some other forks, including at least one (1) "mystery" fork that I thought may be an Indian. But, I don't know much and I joined this forum to learn. I appreciate any and all help I can get. Thank you.

Apologies for my ignorance, but would you please describe the fork you are referring to? I have some other forks, including at least one (1) "mystery" fork that I thought may be an Indian. But, I don't know much and I joined this forum to learn. I appreciate any and all help I can get. Thank you.
    Indian switched from a leaf spring fork to a girder fork in 46.
    The girder fork responds to bumps in the road quickly and smoothly.
    Harley used a springer fork in 46, much rougher then the Indian fork.

Quote Originally Posted by 1950panhead View Post
    Indian switched from a leaf spring fork to a girder fork in 46.
    The girder fork responds to bumps in the road quickly and smoothly.
    Harley used a springer fork in 46, much rougher then the Indian fork.
    Thank you. Still struggle with basic terminology. To highlight my ignorance, I was looking for something without any springs. A Google search, not surprisingly, revealed that I am not alone in this confusion and, also not surprisingly, led right back to this forum and a 2008 thread by Buzz (Springer vs Girder Forks), which revealed that education/learning may never end.

Hopefully understand basics now as to leaf-spring fork (aka leaf-spring springer fork or leaf-spring front end) vs. girder fork terminology. Unless someone says otherwise, I will assume that Choutman was referring to the fork leaning against the wall.

I tend to be pretty literal and these kinds of terms often seem to be used pretty loosely and inconsistently. But, love the terms and history and stories behind them. Will save related questions (e.g., fork vs. forks; trailing link; and "jerry springer forks"?) for some other thread in the very distant future (i.e., maybe never).

Your father had been to my shop many times.He had not started the Shovel in many years & wanted to bring it in.He had put fresh gas & battery but no spark.I told him to snap the points a couple of times & try it.It started right up.He told me about the others & many stories over the years.Great guy, I have missed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I will assume that Choutman was referring to the fork leaning against the wall
    That one leaning against the wall in your photo #7 is ‘46, ‘47, or ‘48 Chief. (If it has no grease zerks then it’s ‘46)
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

Quote Originally Posted by duffeycycles View Post
    Your father had been to my shop many times.He had not started the Shovel in many years & wanted to bring it in.He had put fresh gas & battery but no spark.I told him to snap the points a couple of times & try it.It started right up.He told me about the others & many stories over the years.Great guy, I have missed him.
    Thank you for sharing. Appreciate hearing any and all memories and stories. Haven't gone through all of them, but my father took a ton of photos at Davenport every year and labeled a lot of them. If I recognize any names or faces, I will be happy to share them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pisten-Bully View Post
    That one leaning against the wall in your photo #7 is ‘46, ‘47, or ‘48 Chief. (If it has no grease zerks then it’s ‘46)
    Thank you. Very helpful. Posted the mystery fork in the Indian forum. Hoping someone may be able to tell me what it isn't even if no one knows for sure what it is.

And hello to you.

Thread Information