Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLH Shifter Lever Bushing

1. FLH Shifter Lever Bushing

1970 FLH, the shifter shaft is slopping around make a heck of a rattle. I have already sourced a new foot shift lever bushing (part #3088-1 from Colony), I believe that to be the issue. Leaving for Trumansburg this weekend, debating how much of a job this is and do I have time to tackle it or just deal with it when I get home. Some questions:

1- The bushing seems to be straight forward, press out the old and install new. Is it common that the new will need to be reamed to match my shifter shaft? This is actually my big concern, taking it all apart then having to bring it to my local machinist and then find out he has a week back log, etc, etc.
    2- I have no washers at the ends of the shaft and my parts book does not show any. I know the modern bikes have "nylon" washers to reduce some of the rattle noise, I assume. Is this a common upgrade while I am doing the job. J&P Vintage catalog lists nylon washers with no explanation. I do not see them in the Colony catalog.

Not sure what else, big question is the need to ream the bushing, that will help me make a decision based on schedule. Thanks in advance.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

Re: FLH Shifter Lever Bushing

The one I have installed needed reamed.

Factory steel bushings are always loose, they start out that way, and factory replacements don't get reamed, they were sized to fit (loosely) as new. I've never used aftermarket repops so can't speak for those. The grease holes need to line up.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

4. Re: FLH Shifter Lever Bushing

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    Factory steel bushings are always loose, they start out that way, and factory replacements don't get reamed, they were sized to fit (loosely) as new. I've never used aftermarket repops so can't speak for those. The grease holes need to line up.
    Factory loose = rattle that you can hear while riding?

And do you have thoughts on the nylon washers to help with rattle?

I have been riding with my foot against the shifter.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

Factory loose is pretty loose, the washers should be fine, and the late style shifter bushing seems to be more of an issue than the early ones. A Heim joint on the shifter rod helps also. And the washers can't hurt. The whole design kind of sucks.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

6. Re: FLH Shifter Lever Bushing

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    Factory loose is pretty loose, the washers should be fine, and the late style shifter bushing seems to be more of an issue than the early ones. A Heim joint on the shifter rod helps also. And the washers can't hurt. The whole design kind of sucks.
    Well there it is, thanks as always for the advice. Lot happening this week, I think I will leave that little project, which may be fruitless, for after the Empire meet when I do not have a deadline. Got hot this week anyway, no need to be dealing with BS in the heat. Summer is for riding not wrenching. Also give me time to order the nylon washers. Finger Lakes here we come, rattling all the way!!!!!!!
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

Rattle on brother

8. Re: FLH Shifter Lever Bushing

Quote Originally Posted by t-jacobs View Post
    Rattle on brother
    I swear my FLH makes way more noise/rattles then my Flathead. Too much "stuff" on the bike, always something loose and jingling all the way!?!?! First world problems, looking forward to riding her around the Finger Lakes next week, everyone will know it's me by the rattle.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

9. Re: FLH Shifter Lever Bushing

Yeah ...my shift lever is way loose , but I never hear it rattle with my drag pipes sounding off !

10. Re: FLH Shifter Lever Bushing

And their is my problem, STOCK exhaust. And don't put the windshield on!?!?!? Sounds like the entire motor is going to grenade (exaggerating). But yeh, stock pipes and a windshield, you hear everything going on with the motor and bike. After a weekend riding around in Laconia with the windshield, I took it off as soon as we got home. Much more relaxing ride this weekend hearing a few less things.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

Thread Information