Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why we do what we do... (Video Link)

Re: Why we do what we do... (Video Link)

Quote Originally Posted by Pisten-Bully View Post
    Not to be a killjoy, but he should model for his kids the importance of wearing a helmet by wearing one himself.
    Ahh, the importance of wearing a helmet and of making sure everyone else does too. We need to set an example of sensible risk-free living at any cost.
    And of course he needs a front fender, duel disc brakes, a five point restraint system and roll cage for the side car, oh and let's not forget a catalytic converter for the sake of the whole Planet.

Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by droptopford View Post
    Ahh, the importance of wearing a helmet and of making sure everyone else does too. We need to set an example of sensible risk-free living at any cost.
    And of course he needs a front fender, duel disc brakes, a five point restraint system and roll cage for the side car, oh and let's not forget a catalytic converter for the sake of the whole Planet.

Brother.
    you forgot the airbags

Thought when I first saw it that he modeled the helmet question exactly right: all the minors in the film wore helmets when riding. He illustrated the freedom an adult earns to decide for themselves. It's called "the age of consent" and an important component of FREEDOM. You have the right to succeed, and you also have a right to fail miserably and provide everyone else a textbook example of what NOT to do. But it's still your life, your choice. Everybody else can fkoff.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

Maybe the state he was riding in requires helmets for kids under a certain age.

The last time I got knocked off a motorcycle, my helmet got cracked. . . But, not my skull. If you don't want to wear a helmet, that should be your choice, but the reality is, taxpayers will have to pay to keep you breathing. Life in this modern age is not simple.

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    If you don't want to wear a helmet, that should be your choice, but the reality is, taxpayers will have to pay to keep you breathing.
    That Eric, is the only possible position society can take that argues that not wearing a helmet is detrimental to anyone other than the rider. But that's not necessarily the "reality".

Not everyone with MC related head injuries ends up on life support. The non-helmet wearing rider is just as likely to end up on a slab. Once you've been planted, you'll collect that much less Social Security, Medicare benefits etc and may actually benefit the economy.

And on that cheerful note...my part of this hijack is over. That was a damn nice video!

Clark

Guess I hit some kind of hot button, eh?

Kids look up to their parents, helmets prevent head injuries. That’s all.

They can make their own choices later, as adults, about risky behavior...drugs, tobacco use, unprotected sex with a stranger...hell, you can even show them how you clean a firearm without clearing the chamber. Teach ‘em everything about choices and freedom, but don’t model stupid choices.

When they’re your kids you should put aside your vane desire to flow your Hollywood locks in the wind for the camera and you should put on a helmet. When they’re adults...if they want to lose the helmet they won’t have the excuse “well Dad never wore a helmet, so why should I?”

And...I like front fenders. Flame on.
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

I'm gonna stick with nice video.
    To have the right to do something is not the same as to be right in doing it.

49 FL Love/Hate Relationship

Thought when I first saw it that he modeled the helmet question exactly right: all the minors in the film wore helmets when riding. He illustrated the freedom an adult earns to decide for themselves. It's called "the age of consent" and an important component of FREEDOM. You have the right to succeed, and you also have a right to fail miserably and provide everyone else a textbook example of what NOT to do. But it's still your life, your choice. Everybody else can fkoff.
    I'm with Sarge on this, and I always wear a helmet, a full face one at that. Hell, I wear all the gear, armored pants, jackets, etc. No point in even pretending with the stupid beanie type helmets. But it is a choice and his right. And the "burden on society" argument is BS.
    The video appealed to me at many levels. His interaction with his kids was typically Hawaiian/Polynesian as to family interaction. I'm glad I saw it and felt it was worth sharing.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Hi

I was all for the adult choice side of this argument and when ever I have ridden in the US I often left my helmet in the motel in the states where I could.

But on the other hand I have not forgotten when as a 22 year old, seeing human brains for the first time. The ride was a Triumph chop with gas welded rake, lovingly finished with a good quality bondo.

The helmet was a german style and made of Bakelite of all things. It shattered into 4 bits.

That left a lasting impression but I like the strong "dads, love your kids" message. Great video.....

Murray

Thread Information