Thread: Shopping Advice Please

Shopping Advice Please

Hi All

Coming over to the US for another look at the Sturgis rally and Speed Week on the salt at Bonneville. To my eternal shame this is a road trip by car as I'm travelling with my non riding brother in law.

My question is this.

I have a bit of a shopping list for the WLA and I have not been able to find (on the Net) any shops or sellers on the west coast that might be worth a look. Maybe a shop that has a good range of Colony as well as used and NOS.

Is there anything (swap meets or boot sales?) at the rally worth a look? I have been a few times before but have not noticed what I am now looking for.

Our plan is roughly, San Francisco/Sturgis/Bonneville/Las Vegas/Sanfrancisco.

Thanks a lot

Murray
    52 EL
    42 WLA (one step forward, two steps back)

Re: Shopping Advice Please

Hey Murray,

Not that I have any experience with the area you are heading to. When I travel, I find that these days due to the internet being the main shopping source, there are fewer and fewer one stop fits all shops, especially for Colony and used bits. If there is a decent shop someone suggests, contact them in advance with a shopping list of needs so you go home with your arms full of stuff that approaches your duty free limits.

And hopefully there are some good suggestions and surprises along your travels!

Craig

These are of no help as there nowhere near the places you are going. But the only people I know that may have no’s wla stuff

Tatro machine in San Diego

Resurrection Cycle Works In Virginia
    1947 EL
    1948 FL Project
    1947WL Project
    2000FLSTC

But there's booze in the blender
    And soon it will render
    That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

You never get better....you just get less awful. "Joe Walsh"

May want to check with Carl's Cycle Supply,the Olsens are in So.Dakota. They may point you in the right direction. Also try David Sarafin and see if he will be in the area.He is out of Florida I think.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by chibobber; 06-17-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chibobber View Post
    May want to check with Carl's Cycle Supply,the Olsens are in So.Dakota. They may point you in the right direction. Also try David Sarafin and see if he will be in the area.He is out of Florida I think.
    Good Luck!
    David Sarafan Is In Florida, www.davidsarafan.com
    98 FLSTC TRIKE
    60 VW TRIKE-HOMEMADE
    68 TRIUMPH 650 TIGER CHOPPER

You Ain't A Man Till You've Rode A Pan, I'm A Man...

6. Re: Shopping Advice Please

Quote Originally Posted by chibobber View Post
    Good Luck!
    The Black Hills Chapter of the AMCA has an antique bike show at the Iron Horse Saloon on the first Monday of Sturgis Bike week and this year will feature some field games, free lunch for all AMCA members and a one day only swap meet. Hours are from 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM followed by a group ride to the Spirit of Sturgis vintage flat track races on Ballpark Rd. in Sturgis where we will get preferred parking plus free admission to the races and a free beverage.

I am also a dealer for Colony and can have your parts waiting if you preorder them.
    Carl

Thank you everybody, these are just the type of replies I was hoping for.

Carl, the photo file on your web site played a big part in inspiring me to get my 52 EL so I'll sort out a bit of a list and contact you. Its all mainly small stuff.

My WLA is a Soviet lend lease bike and it is fairly rough under the Russian repaint. I'm not doing a full resto (yet) but am pulling all the obvious Ural tractor nuts and bolts off it when I find them. I have a military show in November I promised I'd ride it to.

Murray

Try to hit all of the AMCA swapmeets. Many vintage and nos parts are found at those events.

Thread Information