Thread: What About This Pan?

What About This Pan?

Hi All

Like many of us I occasionally troll Ebay checking out the Pan sales, trying to hone my skills in picking the bikes that are not what they seem to be. I picked some of the repop on this one and no doubt some of you will pick more but.......

Is that a crack right through the numbers?

Out side of that, looks like a good restoration. Well, to me anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Harley...xcca-a&vxp=mtr

Murray

Re: What About This Pan?

It looks like a casting flaw, not a crack. The handlebars are '50-'53. The top tree set-up is aftermarket. The bags are '49 type (but at least it is a high engine number), Battery cover is aftermarket along with air cleaner cover, steering damper lever is wrong, parking light lenses are aftermarket.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

I agree it looks like a casting flaw. I saw a similar flaw on a 48FL number boss a while ago on another site.

Ad says 48 transmission/kicker cover (code F8). F8 on the kicker cover? Or is it 3-1?
    Eric

Its a bit like getting marked by the teacher for a test but yep I got three of those. What causes casting marks like that? A hair or bit of fine wire or something?

And I guess the Worsham seat and the bags come under the horrible repop heading but boy they look the business.

Thanks for the education.

Murray

In sand casting, the sand can dry out a bit and crack which shows up in the casting.
    To have the right to do something is not the same as to be right in doing it.

49 FL Love/Hate Relationship

I would think that the Worsham seat and bags are probably going to be as close as you can find to original ones. He has done the research on original seats and bags before making his.

Thread Information