Thread: Linkert M35TP problem

Linkert M35TP problem

Hi
    Hoping someone can help me here: I have just acquired a M35TP carb which I believe to be correct for my 1948 FL Panhead. When I insert the main nozzle into the body of the carb it passes through – it does not but up against the venture as it does on my M78B. The 1-1/8” venturi is shorter than the one in the M74B, so the retaining spring ends up below the surface and does not protrude to be compressed at all by the float bowl nut. A friend has a 47 Knuckle and his carb is the same. He says that on the M35TP the main nozzle ‘floats’, but this does not seem right to me (he also could not get the M35TP to work and ended up using a M78). Does anyone have any information to help me here or can they point me in the right direction please?
    Rob

Re: Linkert M35TP problem

Sounds like the hole in the venturi is hogged out? No such thing as a nozzle that "floats". The nozzle should install like this....

Hi
    Thanks for your fast reply. That is just how I would expect it to fit. The venturi on my carb is only about 1-1/16" long, and does not reach the nozzle by about 1/2" - this is why the nozzle passes clear through. Pictures attached to show you what I mean. What confuses me is that the M35TP on my friend's knuckle is identical, guess that's why he couldn't get it to run right. Anyway I did not want to steam in and replace the venturi if it was historically significant. Now that it looks like I am to replace it, would you recommend changing like for like, or increasing the size while I am about it?
    Regards Robb.jpga.jpgc.jpg

They run like crap with the venturi in backwards..hint hint.
    Last edited by duffeycycles; 05-15-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Stock for your carb is an 1-1/8" venturi. That is the ID not the length. The length is almost 1-3/4". Appears yours has been modified. Get the correct one and you'll be fine....

Thanks. This is how I got the carb and I guessed it was screwed up. Didn't want to change anything though till I sought advice. The odd thing is my mates knuckle is assembled exactly the same, and they were sourced independently. Mine came from the US a couple of months ago, his was on his knuckle several years ago.
    Regards Rob

Is there a hole in the ventury like MR big shows in his pic ?

The nozzle tip always transects the venturi, about 1/32" downstream (toward the engine) of the venturi's smallest diameter. With booster venturis (MR-3, MR-4, M-53) the nozzle transects only the booster (not the main venturi).

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    The nozzle tip always transects the venturi, about 1/32" downstream (toward the engine) of the venturi's smallest diameter. With booster venturis (MR-3, MR-4, M-53) the nozzle transects only the booster (not the main venturi).
    Thanks
    Do these have the bomb sight? Mine just looks like a shortened M35 one, I cant figure out how it would have worked as it is now. I'll send a picture when its out
    Rob

The factory bombsight (booster venturi) was only used to improve response for 45" engines using the 1-1/2" Linkerts.

Thread Information