Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My head is spinning 🤯. No start after stall and Battery Qs

1. My head is spinning 🤯. No start after stall and Battery Qs

So after about 30mins of very slow traffic in NYC today the 48 chief stalls at a traffic light and wont start. No amount of kicking,choke ,retard would get the thing going. Had to push it 1/4 mi back to garage. I noticed the red light on the tank was getting dim so I put the battery on the charger and took another bike out for a spin.
    When I returned the light was bright and the 48 started first kick.
    So my questions
    are the bikes hard to start when hot?
    If so then what do you do?
    Did I drain the battery by driving slow?
    Does the battery need a full 6V to start?

Re: My head is spinning 🤯. No start after stall and Battery Qs

If you are below a certain level in the battery the ignition will not fire. Period, end of story. And factory electrics put out just about nothing at slow speeds. You answered your own question, and it isn't heat!
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

3. Re: My head is spinning 🤯. No start after stall and Battery Qs

The question is what kind of setup you use regarding the battery (6 Volts or 12 Volts / modern sealed gel battery or acid battery), generator and regulator. I recommend to upgrade your generator to the more reliable two brush setup which allows you to use a modern electronic regulator (can be hide inside the stock regulator shell). That makes it easier for the generator to charge the battery at low rpm's in slow traffic. Frank Vandevelde was doing the two brush/electronic regulator upgrade. Don't know if he's still in business or if he's retired. With a modern regulator you can also use modern sealed battery which makes the whole setup also a little more reliable.

4. Re: My head is spinning 🤯. No start after stall and Battery Qs

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    If you are below a certain level in the battery the ignition will not fire. Period, end of story. And factory electrics put out just about nothing at slow speeds. You answered your own question, and it isn't heat!
    That in itself is a relief to hear, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chief37 View Post
    The question is what kind of setup you use regarding the battery (6 Volts or 12 Volts / modern sealed gel battery or acid battery), generator and regulator. I recommend to upgrade your generator to the more reliable two brush setup which allows you to use a modern electronic regulator (can be hide inside the stock regulator shell). That makes it easier for the generator to charge the battery at low rpm's in slow traffic. Frank Vandevelde was doing the two brush/electronic regulator upgrade. Don't know if he's still in business or if he's retired. With a modern regulator you can also use modern sealed battery which makes the whole setup also a little more reliable.
    Thanks. The bike came with a 6V Shorai (Lithium). I dont know how the bike is set up to be honest, its new to me and I'm not familiar with everything yet. let me look in to it further and I'll explore your recommendation then.

5. Re: My head is spinning 🤯. No start after stall and Battery Qs

Howdy sir,

Lots has been written on this topic on Caimag. I’d suggest searching shorai (which, by the way is a starter not a storage battery),three brush, two brush conversion, electronic regulator to get a better understanding. As mentioned generator output is quite different than alternators and especially when operating in the primitive 3 brush and cutout format.

So after about 30mins of very slow traffic in NYC today the ‘48 chief stalls at a traffic light and won’t start. No amount of kicking,choke ,retard would get the thing going. Had to push it 1/4 mi back to garage. I noticed the red light on the tank was getting dim so I put the battery on the charger and took another bike out for a spin. When I returned the light was bright and the ‘48 started first kick.
    Did I drain the battery by driving slow?
    Yes, generators need higher rpm to change, if you idle through heavy traffic you are running off the battery.
    Alternators can change at a lower rpm.

If I'm caught idling around in traffic I'll often kill the headlight - a big amp draw.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

8. Re: My head is spinning 🤯. No start after stall and Battery Qs

Just in case it happens again
    A) Carry a spare 6V battery
    B) ?

It will hapen again if you don't upgrade your charging system for a modern battery,or get an old style battery & make sure it is actually charging

10. Re: My head is spinning 🤯. No start after stall and Battery Qs

Quote Originally Posted by duffeycycles View Post
    It will hapen again if you don't upgrade your charging system for a modern battery,or get an old style battery & make sure it is actually charging
    Thanks I will. Theres an Interstate Batteries franchise in my neighborhood so I'm going to bring the Battery box and buy the biggest one that'll fit in. I'll also look in to the charging upgrade.

Thread Information