Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '46 Knuckle Bobber Project - Disc Brakes // Are HD wheels interchangeable?

'46 Knuckle Bobber Project - Disc Brakes // Are HD wheels interchangeable?

Hey, I was wondering if HD wheels are interchangeable through the years - I'm mocking up my 46 project and I'd like to throw on some 18" wheels but I definitely want a front disc, back doesn't matter so much. So I was wondering can I grab a front wheel off a later year Harley and just fabricate a caliper mounting bracket for my 46 springer? If not does anyone have a recommendation for a disc brake kit they've used?

IMG_8735.JPG

Re: '46 Knuckle Bobber Project - Disc Brakes // Are HD wheels interchangeable?

Short answer is no, they do not interchange. But, Nearly every combination of axles and spacers are available to help you out.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Thanks for the reply, sorry I'm a bit confused - are you saying I can take a later year HD wheel and make it fit with a different axle/using spacers? Or were you referring to aftermarket wheels with the axles/spacers?

Thanks!

are you saying I can take a later year HD wheel and make it fit with a different axle/using spacers? Or were you referring to aftermarket wheels with the axles/spacers?
    There would be no difference, the work involved and parts involved are the same...
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

right on. probably makes more sense to use a later year HD wheel then that already has disc/caliper/master cylinder then

You might go to Paughco website for a little inspiration.A moving mount & stay is important on a springer.

IMG_0847.JPGI used a late springer softail caliper bracket and floating fender on my 49 chopper, I had to make a custom axle and spacer to work with the early rockers.
    Last edited by panacea; 04-05-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    64 Duo-Glide

8. Re: '46 Knuckle Bobber Project - Disc Brakes // Are HD wheels interchangeable?

Quote Originally Posted by panacea View Post
    IMG_0847.JPGI used a late springer softail caliper bracket and floating fender on my 49 chopper, I had to make a custom axle and spacer to work with the early rockers.
    That is nice looking setup! I got flamed on another form for putting a Softail Springer on my panhead chop. Almost nothing original in my bike and people hated it.

Nicely done!

The rotor mounts to the wheel hub as expected. For some wheel hubs and rotor, you can shim the rotor away from the CL, or remove material from either or both to close it up. The purpose is to align the rotor with where your caliper will sit, make sure that the rear fork leg or the stud, clamp, bracket etc. is directly behind it.
    The bracket must be free to rotate on the axle slightly with rocker motion, typically using bushings. Most springer installs have the floating link from the caliper nearly horizontal and parallel to the rocker. If the link cannot/does not align laterally and go straight back to the rear fork leg (as seen from above) a Heim (rose) joint on both ends of the link is helpful to take up the mis-align, but since it's in tension the Heim is harmless even if not needed.
    Last edited by panic; 04-06-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    The rotor mounts to the wheel hub as expected. For some wheel hubs and rotor, you can shim the rotor away from the CL, or remove material from either or both to close it up. The purpose is to align the rotor with where your caliper will sit, make sure that the rear fork leg or the stud, clamp, bracket etc. is directly behind it.
    The bracket must be free to rotate on the axle slightly with rocker motion, typically using bushings. Most springer installs have the floating link from the caliper nearly horizontal and parallel to the rocker. If the link cannot/does not align laterally and go straight back to the rear fork leg (as seen from above) a Heim (rose) joint on both ends of the link is helpful to take up the mis-align, but since it's in tension the Heim is harmless even if not needed.
    Thanks for the info!

Thread Information