Thread: 3 Speed transmission - fitting REVERSE IDLER SHAFT

3 Speed transmission - fitting REVERSE IDLER SHAFT

Hi

I'm currently rebuilding a 3-speed transmission and adding Reverse gear but have come across a problem.
    The idler shaft mounting hole in the transmission case had a metal cap fitted which was easily removed. There was a thin bronze bushing fitted in the mounting hole which I wasn't expecting . It doesn't show up in any of the parts or service manuals that I have. The problem is the inside diameter of the bushing and the idler shaft diameter are the same and I don't think belting the stuffing out the shaft will make it fit.

Excuse the stupid questions but I haven't been able to find any specific info or pictures on fitting the idler shaft. Is anyone able to tell me:
    1) Should the bushing be fitted in the mounting hole?
    2) How hard/tight should it be fit the shaft into the case?
    3)How far into the housing does the shaft go ie. as far as possible or so the end is level with the case?
    4) Does the orientation of the "half-moon" on the case/threaded end of the shaft matter ie facing up, down, sideways?

Any suggestions welcome.
    Thanks
    Noel

Re: 3 Speed transmission - fitting REVERSE IDLER SHAFT

1) Should the bushing be fitted in the mounting hole? No
    2) How hard/tight should it be fit the shaft into the case? Not very tight, should be able to push in with hand or light tap with non marring hammer.
    3)How far into the housing does the shaft go ie. as far as possible or so the end is level with the case? As far as it can go, it has a lip to stop against case.
    4) Does the orientation of the "half-moon" on the case/threaded end of the shaft matter ie facing up, down, sideways? It should be oriented so that the 35111-36 bearing housing retaining plate will lock it in place when installed and keep it from rotating. The threaded hole is only there to be used when removing the shaft.
    At some point, someone must have installed a bushing as a repair method for a damaged idler shaft hole.
    Don't cut down the shaft or it would be to lose on the idler gear and the inner shaft boss in the case.
    Hone or ream the bushing to size.

Re: 3 Speed transmission - fitting REVERSE IDLER SHAFT

Your answers were exactly what I needed to know.
    I had thought about reaming the bushing but decided to temper my usual "bull at the gate" style and get advice from someone that knew more about it before I went ahead.
    The transmission is currently in pieces and when I sat the bearing housing plate on the case it was obvious how the shaft was oriented but I hadn't thought to check that.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Thread Information