Thread: Syracuse swap meet

Syracuse swap meet

Went to the Super Swap at the NY Fairgrounds in Syracuse this past weekend. There were not as many vintage bikes as usual, but this Curtiss was there

And this old girl, with a sign that said it had last been washed in 1987

Re: Syracuse swap meet

Wow, I have not been to the Syracuse swap since I had hair and a ponytail! Thanks for the memory!

Craig

Last time I went to this meet was in "89 I think. I saw Rocky Halter in the parking lot, borrowed a wrench and took an Indian handlebar cross bar off a barn bike for my S/C rig in a raging blizzard. Think I paid 5 bucks. Those were the days. No e-bay, no internet and no fighting the world for a part.

I've been going for close to 10 years. For whatever reason, there were a lot fewer vintage bikes this year. Usually in the center, right where you walk in they have a display of vintage bikes, always seemed like there were a couple dozen, and more would be scattered throughout the building. This year there were only a few in the center, and the one back room that always had 8 or 10 was closed off.

The guy I used to buy parts for my Ironhead from - who we all called Harley John - always had 1 or 2 bikes in the group of bikes that were judged, and he usually won or was in the top 3. John had a stroke a couple of years ago, it's sad not to see him there.

Last year there was a shovelhead there with the engine reversed - the rocker boxes were on the left side of the bike. I spent quite a bit of time talking to the guy that built it.

Always a fun time. Even if you don't find anything to buy it's a great way to get out of the house and try to forget about how crappy the winter is, at least for a day.

That’s a good point, nothing else happing this time of year unless your packing for DAYTONA. I think I will put it on the schedule for next year.

Craig

6. Re: Syracuse swap meet

I started going in '85, and haven't missed many. The number of vintage parts vendors has diminished significantly. I remember when Harbor Vintage used to have a spot there. One year Bill Morris even showed up! This year the only thing that impressed me was the knuckle bobber that a fellow from Canada brought. And I'll attest to the weather conditions. Although this year wasn't bad, I can remember snow coming in sideways off the big lake?

Thread Information