Thread: Indian 16 Wheels

Indian 16 Wheels

I see a lot of late 40's (1946+) Indian 16" wheels on fleabay, but I never see any early 40's 16's for sale, although they did exist. I believe they all had the same size nipple holes (.343), but used a thinner spoke in the later years. I spoke to Buchanan's (no pun intended) and they told me I could use the later rim with my early 42 hubs, but would obviously need to buy a set of spokes from them that are also the thicker gauge used in the early 40's, since the 42 hubs I have were on 18's that are completely toast (rusted swiss cheese). I asked about this as I have a set of late 40's Indian rims already (that have .343 holes and came with the later hub, now removed), so if I use them, could anyone tell the difference between an early and late 16" Indian rim?

This will help me make my decisions on 18 versus 16 and what has priority. I am lacking one 18 rim right now to have the two sets I need, but may go ahead and prep one set of 18's and one set of 16's now until I can get my hands on one more 18. I really want to go with 18's for both projects and can always keep the 16's around as spares.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the previous feedback and answers as I make my way through these projects.

Re: Indian 16 Wheels

Just a bump...still looking to find out how to tell the difference between an early 40's and late 40's 16" Indian rim, if there is any? I never see early 40's for sale although they were available.

there is 16” wheel on ebay right now
    with 37-45 hub
    no idea if factory but you can take a look
    ebay# 113614408949

moa
    Last edited by marcina; 02-09-2019 at 04:54 AM.

4. Re: Indian 16 Wheels

I believe that all Indian 16" rims were the same. 1946-´53 had thinner spokes, but the diameter of the nipples was still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by springfield1901 View Post
    I believe that all Indian 16" rims were the same. 1946-´53 had thinner spokes, but the diameter of the nipples was still the same.
    That's my understanding as well. I believe there are some reproductions out there with smaller holes, so maybe that confuses the issue.
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

In looking at my parts books, there are different part #s for 16" rims used in 1945, and then in 1946. The offset for 1945 and earlier wheels is 2.937" and 1946 and later is 2.312", which means there is a .625" difference in offset between those years. That was probably enough angular difference for Indian to have altered the angle of the nipple dimple. Whether that rim difference would have a profound effect on truing in the different offsets would have to be proven. I've laced and trued many wheels for many different bikes and I've found spoked wheels are quite forgiving. However, making a Harley rim work on an Indian is going too far.

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    . However, making a Harley rim work on an Indian is going too far.
    Thanks for the info Axeric. You must have seen my post on my Fleabay 18 wheel screwing. I did attempt attempt to go back to the seller (currently selling a huge stash of Harley and Indian parts) and call him out on the ad as it was listed as Original Indian Wheel and Hub. Basically told me sorry...that is the risk of buying old motorcycle parts, so I got no love. Didn't want to pitch a fit as I did not want to get banned. There has been other legitimate stuff popping up that I still need, so I picked up my ball and went home.

MOA - that fleabay listing number does not show up the flea when searched. I watch for those regularly and I cannot find it the way you describe it.

Thread Information