Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star hub wheel lacing and truing

Star hub wheel lacing and truing

It turns out that the original rear wheel on my '49 WL bike in boxes is bent, but the hub is good. I know my local H-D dealer pretty good so he gave me a wheel to see if it was any good, its a '47 KH and the rim is in really great condition but the hub has issues, even with +.0008" bearings it still has 1/8" of play all the way around on the star side, so I'm thinking that it ain't gonna work. I figure I can combine the two wheels, my hub and the '47 rim. I'm going to have to replace the spokes as well and want original style cad, who do you recommend to lace and true it? I've seen Buchanan's name used in the forum in doing searches, do they do good work? Do any of you guys offer this service?
    Thanks much,
    Karl.

Re: Star hub wheel lacing and truing

You pays your money and you spins the wheel, Karl. Seriously, it all depends on how much you're willing to pay. You can send your parts to Buchanan in California; they do still perform mail order, from selling components to building whatever you want. There are probably people local to you who can "lace a motorcycle wheel," have a truing stand and the knowledge, even if they build dirt bikes for a living.

The Harley-specific information, like rim offset, spoke direction (notice which side inner/outer spokes overlap the other on all star wheels.) is all covered in the 1940 Knucklehead Service Manual. As far as the hub, you know the parts are all available & that's covered in the manual, too, and you're probably looking forward to getting inside star hubs. It's a good feelin' after the job is done, knowing your wheels are as fresh as the rest of your new ride. You can do the whole wheel-rebuilding job or as much of it as you think you can chew off; or assemble complete wheels and leave a bike professional to true and balance. Just depends on your checkbook, of course. Jus' making suggestions. Good luck!
    Last edited by Sarge; 01-25-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

3. Re: Star hub wheel lacing and truing

Hubs are pretty easy to rebuild, do a search on this forum, also some you tube stuff out there. I use a local Indy shop for lacing and truing wheels, a skill I never picked up. Not crazy expensive. I also usual mount my own tires with a set irons.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

Hey guys, thanks for the replies....The hub isn't a problem, star hubs are really simple. Its the lacing and truing that I'd like to have done, so just wondering who is trustworthy to send my original parts to. Thanks again.

That's why I suggested you find someone local so you won't need to send your wheels cross-country to get laced and trued. I have dropped off wheel parts before to competent, local dirt-bike guys along with my copy of the 1940 Harley Knucklehead Service Manual, pointing out the ppg. on lacing wheels and had great success, quickly and easily. A bike wheel is a wheel, if you have a truing stand, a quarter-inch spoke wrench, patience and a little experience with the process. Don't over think it. Give it to a bike shop, a local entrepreneur of good rep. Heh!
    Last edited by Sarge; 01-26-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

There's a guy on instagram does amazing work, goes by oldnippletwister.
    To have the right to do something is not the same as to be right in doing it.

49 FL Love/Hate Relationship

Karl, how badly bent is your rim? If it isn't that bad, you can pull it in during the truing process; but of course, there is a limit to that. As Sarge said, there is no mystery to truing a Harley-Davidson wheel, and even a bicycle shop could easily do it if they have a truing stand that will hold a your wheel.

8. Re: Star hub wheel lacing and truing

You might want to try it yourself, it ain't rocket surgery, and you'll learn something.

Mr Pitts, you are right about that, I am going to go for it. I watched a couple of videos so this gomer is officially trained. Thanks much for the replies.
    Another question, is there any reason why I shouldn't use my old spokes or should I just replace them with new? The old spokes are in good condition, but of course I haven't tried removing them yet so that just might answer that question on its own.

10. Re: Star hub wheel lacing and truing

Yeh there is your answer, if you can get them out they are re-usable. But can you get them out?????
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

Thread Information