Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you remove 2 part fiberglass epoxy resin used as tank liner?

Re: How do you remove 2 part fiberglass epoxy resin used as tank liner?

my recomendation is clean the crap out of it.The biggest problem I have seen is not getting the inside top clean enough.Then use your new sealant & let it cure for a long time before puting gas in it.

Well the task is accomplished. My option "A" to further separate the epoxy sealer by soaking in E85 then put in a bit of water and then freeze the tank so that expanding water would further break it loose did nothing. Option "B" assumed that the sealer might be the 2 part epoxy sealer from Caswell and was fairly successful. I called Caswell and confirmed that paint stripper with Methylene Chloride would disolve their product. The stripper recommended 5 to 15 minuted of soak time. I soaked for 30 minutes the first run, 1 hour the 2nd time and 1 1/2 hours the 3rd time. I tumbled the tank in the dryer for 1 hour with wood screws between each paint stripper application. The first 2 applications removed most of the shinny stuff in the tank but not the larger drips or the puddle in the bottom of the tank. The 3rd application did nothing so I went to a local radiator shop for guidance. Tommy's Radiator said that they would go at it with acid and to plan on repainting the tank. So I poured in a 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid and soaked / slushed for 10 minutes. It etched the tank well but didn't effect the epoxy. Did the 2nd 1/2 gallon for 30 minutes with a supper etch but no effect on the epoxy. The radiator shop had told me that they would have been happy with the tank when I showed it to them and to line with red kote when done (they sell red kote, $24.99 quart). So I cut the red kote with 10% acetone and did 2 coats, 24 hours apart.

No, I did not have to repaint. I first covered the paint with 3" blue tape, criss crossed 2 layers thick. Then I took some shower pan material, 40 mil thick, about 3 ft square and cut a round hole in the center to tightly go over the fuel spout. I then used thick duct tape to seal between the fuel spout and the big rubber bib. The shower pan material was the key. The paint on the fuel spout is trashed but will not show with the cap on.

Methylene chloride. This stuff is nasty but very effective and removes epoxy and polyester resins. You really need an enclosed container, and NOT a plastic one it is really just the fumes of this stuff that are agressive enough to remove anything but rust. Put some in the tank and some in the bottom of the container, close the lid, don't breathe any fumes , let sit in closed container 24 hours, rinse with acetone. Of course your paint and any body filler will be gone also. Be careful , wear a good resperator, work outside.

So if I am not worried about trying to save paint, is a radiator shop a good solution for cleaning out old tanks as was referenced earlier? If so, that just saved me some headaches with my tanks on getting them cleaned out.

Yes, go to the radiator shop & be done with it. I don't like messing with the harsh chemicals.

7. Re: How do you remove 2 part fiberglass epoxy resin used as tank liner?

Quote Originally Posted by Pisten-Bully View Post
    I suppose there's a chance that what you're seeing is Caswell's tank sealer, it's a two part epoxy that looks and acts like fiberglass.. I had Caswell's in one of my tanks and it started to fail, I phoned them and they advised that paint stripper with Methylene Chloride will remove their sealer, it was a gooey mess but it worked.
    Thanks Pisten-Bully for putting a name to the tank liner as it was my first suspicion the subject at hand iss Caswell's. iam going to assume the product "russmyu" is discussing is CLEAR. i'll relate my 2 experiences with the product, the first a little old Yamaha tank, i used Caswells because i had a kit given to me, it's been at least 10 years since i did the lining and it still appears intact. Caswell's is not easy to work with like other liners, viscosity changes abruptly subject to approximately a 10 degree temperature range, too cool and the stuff is almost thicker than room temp honey and too warm it flows almost like water and it sets up quickly so one has to have a plan and everything laid out to avert problems.

my second experience with Caswells comes in the tank of my '67 RE Interceptor, someone before me put the stuff in the tank and the Caswells has completely come loose and literally is this hyper-brittle crystalline like bladder that when i gently poked a finger at it, it broke that area off into small pieces. i did a to no avail internet search how to remove the stuff and i keep forgetting to call Caswells tech, so thank you pisten-bully for the methylene chloride tip. the "gooey mess" creeps me out; how were you able to get out the entirety of the gooey mess so you were confident the tank had no residual gooey mess in it? i once had to remove a KREEM liner failure, of course that is a MEK based gooey mess to remove and after going through i can not remember how many MEK washings i went through to get the krap out, i seem to recall at the end, i used ZipStrip paint remover and a garden hose of water to get the tank clean; sheesh, i cannot remember, it's one of those experiences i want to forget how i did it before i am done..... i do not hink Caswells is a good thing for a gas tank, considering its very hard and brittle nature subjected to the heat/cold stresses a steel tank is bound to at least microscopically expand and contract enough to mess with the brittle nature of Caswells or at least i would think....

looks like methylene chloride is available at Home Repo and is somewhat toxic to humans, so forewarned is forearmed...!?

i keep hearing many guys use Red Kote; i've never used it.... and i have heard guys talk about Northern Blue; again, never used it.... i have a set of JD sport solo tanks i am planning to use that appear to be older brand new repro's made i am guessing at least 10-20 years ago. without going into the details of near impossible fitment without some strategically placed hammer blows on the inside panels of both tanks, and thence after i am afraid to run them without first using some sort of coating t opreent leaks as i am not content the tanks are that great to start with, i need to let them set full of gas for a week and see what happens. i am very tempted to follow the good experience some of you guys and go with Red Kote.

Has anyone had a Red Kote failure? i understand Red Kote is MEK based?

i just stumbled across a few days ago another product, of Australia, looks interesting, sold by Vintage Steel and apparently available in the USA by way of Canada.... would be nice to hear some reviews on it. to my way of thinking the manufacturer's advertising of these various liners is akin to an old snake oil salesmen's medicine show... here is the link for the Australian "Red, White and Blue liner - http://www.vintagesteel.com.au/other...lue-tank-liner

in any event, sorry "russmyu" for partially hijacking your thread, but i find the topic of tank liners interesting, at least a bit apropos to your thread and although i have seen a number of failures of different liners, none by my hands have failed, but then my prep is fastidious, thorough and painfully tedious and time consuming...

in closing, any advice to "ditch the tank," all i can say is "ain't happenin' !!!" i be too stubborn, stupid and poor to be ditchin' any tanks that show promise !
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 01-30-2019 at 01:42 AM.

When I bought my Indian, the tank coating had completely failed. I believe it was Kreem. I used the company, Tank ReNu, I was lucky to have a location near me in Minnesota. They resoldered a leak, cleaned all the crap out, used Redkote, and saved the paint, I was impressed. I have used Caswells on two tanks, and so far, so good. I will say again, the key to coating the inside of a tank is surface prep. I bead blast or even sand blast the inside of the tank first, have a perfectly clean and somewhat textured surface for the new coating to adhere to. Putting any coating over some leftover rust or small pinholes or a leaky seam, is just asking for trouble. Only a matter of time before it fails.

9. Re: How do you remove 2 part fiberglass epoxy resin used as tank liner?

Quote Originally Posted by hci View Post
    When I bought my Indian, the tank coating had completely failed. I believe it was Kreem. I used the company, Tank ReNu, I was lucky to have a location near me in Minnesota. They resoldered a leak, cleaned all the crap out, used Redkote, and saved the paint, I was impressed. I have used Caswells on two tanks, and so far, so good. I will say again, the key to coating the inside of a tank is surface prep. I bead blast or even sand blast the inside of the tank first, have a perfectly clean and somewhat textured surface for the new coating to adhere to. Putting any coating over some leftover rust or small pinholes or a leaky seam, is just asking for trouble. Only a matter of time before it fails.
    i would wholeheartedly agree prep is crucial to the success any liner over time. the failures i have seen, i believe, are due to no to poor prep. at least the tanks i have seen with failures, there is significant rust, makes me wonder how culpable manufacturer's are in pretty much saying their product coats successfully over rust which i am very doubtful is a realistic claim.

Good preparation is critical to lining a tank with sealer; but as Roger said, don't put gasoline into the tank until the sealer is well cured. I think 2 weeks minimum, and longer is better.

Thread Information