Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The future is here !

Re: The future is here !

I am tolerant enough to appreciate any piece of technology but a range of 110 miles is to me likely to be the most serious bottleneck, even above the $30k one, considering that it is a toy that the average rider won't buy. With 110 miles (how many real miles in highway? maybe 70?) you are forced to do only short round one-half-day trips, I guess. The classic 2-3 days round trips above 1000 miles must be a nightmare with such a range! Also certainly out of question to join with it a bunch of friends with combustion engines! Just my thought...
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

2. Re: The future is here !

110 miles. Not much less than a 3 1/2 gallon Panhead. Re charge time is the killer.

There is no doubt that the future is going have electric vehicles. I think Harley is being smart for trying to be a player in the arena. It is not my thing, but I'm sure a couple of my twenty something's think it's cool. They are the future. And...if Harley didn't go for it and went down, we'd be asking ,why?

this is a massive fail on the MoCo's part.
    spending hundreds of millions of dollars to develop & market it.
    it's as if they are clueless in their market research. who walks into a HD dealership and thinks "i want to buy a silent environmentally clean motorcycle" answer: no one.
    they should have developed this with a different company/subsidiary name, like the buell, so that when it fails (and it most likely will) it will be less of a blemish on the HD books.
    with only a 110 mile in town range, & less on the freeway, you will not be able to ride with your friends on gas machines for anything more than bar hopping trips due to the charging time & availability of charging stations.
    also, with a 30k price tag it will not sell well. just look at the 15k ZERO electric bike, much better looking & HALF the cost.

The, Their, End is near

Man, I misread the range. I thought it was like 190 but appears it's only 110?? Crap, that's really terrible...

did you know an Impco gas carb bolts straight onto shovelhead intake manifold?
    cheaper than any E-bike

Cool Re: The future is here !

Quote Originally Posted by kfelt View Post
    110 miles. Not much less than a 3 1/2 gallon Panhead. Re charge time is the killer.
    Could be a good opportunity for someone to develop helmets with built in solar panels...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cooke View Post
    Could be a good opportunity for someone to develop helmets with built in solar panels...
    or fit propeller type wind charger. Get the ratio right and it could run perpetually. LOL
    To have the right to do something is not the same as to be right in doing it.

49 FL Love/Hate Relationship

this is a massive fail on the MoCo's part.
    spending hundreds of millions of dollars to develop & market it.
    it's as if they are clueless in their market research. who walks into a HD dealership and thinks "i want to buy a silent environmentally clean motorcycle" answer: no one.
    they should have developed this with a different company/subsidiary name, like the buell, so that when it fails (and it most likely will) it will be less of a blemish on the HD books.
    with only a 110 mile in town range, & less on the freeway, you will not be able to ride with your friends on gas machines for anything more than bar hopping trips due to the charging time & availability of charging stations.
    also, with a 30k price tag it will not sell well. just look at the 15k ZERO electric bike, much better looking & HALF the cost.
    The engineering staff was focused on this project.
    It would be similar to vrod or any clean sheet project.

The demographs they have in mind are millenials age 20 to 29, women, hispanics, black men.
    I know people in each of these groups, the idea may be appealing to millenials and women but the price is to high.
    Some employees are aware of the problems, at some point someone made the decision to market, probably the board or ceo.
    This is one model among many.

but appears it's only 110?? Crap, that's really terrible...
    This is a city bike, not an open road bike.
    Ride it to work, short rides on the weekend, not an open road bike.
    If someone steals your livewire it calls your cell phone, help!, help!, reports gps location (really)

Matt Laidlaw, Matt Laidlaw Harley Davidson, Baldwin Park California video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EKvj_u8C28
    Listen to tone of his voive.

Thread Information