Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Crankcase

1. Replacing Crankcase

I've had this engine many years. The crankcase has had major repairs but has never been quite right.

Exploded view.

I found an STD replacement case on ebay. It came with a V-Twin gearcase cover, tappet guides, and Timkens.

The serial number is under the generator mount where it can't be seen from above. The suggestion is to break the law and stamp a number on the number boss.

The case halves have two different numbers. I questioned this with STD but they never responded. I'm already commited to this build, so the question is a matter of curiosity.

With the bottom alignment studs installed, The case halves are misaligned by several thousandths. This is unacceptable and may explain the mismatched numbers and lack of response from STD.

I'll use standard studs in place of the alignment studs, permitting slight adjustment. For alignment, I'll use the top stud like Harley did it 80 years ago. Here I'm polishing the stud to remove burrs and rust.

The stud measures .305". By luck I have a .305" reamer.

The breather gear binds in the case. The machining was never properly finished.
    /

A die grinder with a split rod and a resin cloth "butterfly" will polish out the tool marks.

The right side race had supposedly been line lapped, but I wanted to check. Good thing, as it didn't clean up until roller size +.0006".

Re: Replacing Crankcase

You should have bought your left case from http://knuckleworks.com/ph5564.html You would get it with your existing number already on it
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

3. Re: Replacing Crankcase

I considered Knuckleworks, but they don't make a right side case for this engine. If they stamp the existing number, there will be two cases with the same number. Is that correct?

Mr. Pitts. You know and live way too close to NY to play the numbers game. Smart man will seize that pretty bike.

5. Re: Replacing Crankcase

Pinion bushing in gearcase cover is way too loose and must be replaced.

Tapping bushing to accept puller.

Simple home made bushing puller.

Bushing removed.

Turning new bushing, ID will be undersize to allow finish reaming.

Using bench vise to press bushing into gear cover.

The bushing is pinned to the cover with a dowel. The dowel on the right is Harley and measures 1/8" OD. The one on the left is STD and measures 3 mm. If you use the factory specified drillbit, the 3mm dowel will be loose. This is a trap and makes me wonder where STD is made.

This easy to make tool uses an expansion reamer and parts from a case lap kit to finish ream the bushing.

Reaming is done with the cases bolted together to ensure accurate alignment. The expansion reamer ensures accurate sizing.

A home made go/nogo gauge shows when reaming is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles.L.Pitts View Post
    I considered Knuckleworks, but they don't make a right side case for this engine. If they stamp the existing number, there will be two cases with the same number. Is that correct?
    Not if you destroy your broken case.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Delcron or STD=can of worms

8. Re: Replacing Crankcase

So the Manufacturer (Knuckleworks) commits a crime every time they stamp a case with a Harley number?

And yes, a can of worms. It's part of the challenge.

I would guess yes it is a fed crime,only HD or an authorized dealer could legally do that, but I am not a lawyer

You would think if Knuckleworks has been doing this for years they would be well versed in the law regarding stamping replacement cases...

Thread Information