Thread: Heavy handling issue, stem nut & steering damper adjustment 47 knucklehead

Heavy handling issue, stem nut & steering damper adjustment 47 knucklehead

The 47 knucklehead build is having a heavy steering issue I've not encountered before and maybe someone else has had the issue and produced a fix for this. When adjusting the stem nut on the back springer leg it's adjusted to have a slight amount of play up and down play, about .050 to .075".
    1 tooth more in tightening, and it's too tight. 2 teeth less and still heavy handling so where it is set now seems to be the happy medium. Since this is an offset springer I can't turn the locking plate upside down, where the lock pin slides into the nuts fingered top through the handle bars triple tree. When tightening the triple tree handlebar stem top nut the free play is removed. But then the steering is heavy at low speeds. 1 notch more in tightness of the stem nut and the handling is much worse. The damper relieves a very minor amount of the low speed heaviness but it's still there as the damper adjustment seems to not apply enough pressure due to the small amount of space in the dampers spring travel, it just bottoms out and goes from loose to tight in 1/8 of a turn or less. A friend suggested doubling up on the fiber washers (ones being used now are new, top fibre and bottom soft fibre rubberized type) but not certain how that would help. Am running Shenko tires at 26-28 psi as it's set up solo. Anyone might have any idea why this would occur?
    Last edited by ricmoran; 12-12-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Re: Heavy handling issue, stem nut & steering damper adjustment 47 knucklehead

There should not be anything "rubberized" in the damper. OEM friction discs are asbestos based, anything rubbery is going to create extreme drag. The damper spring should not coil bind. You should be able to move the damper lever 180 degrees freely. And .050-'075 is way too much free play, the balls can run at very little clearance, about .005. Also, the crown nut should not be affected by tightening the top nut. If so there is a thread problem.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Thanks Robbie. Seems like when I go 1 notch to tighten, no free play and the steering is worse. For lack of better description of the thinner fibreous washer, yes, it is asbestos material and I used that description or rubberized wrong. Will see what happens with less play again. Hard to tell exactly how much there is as between tight and what is just right the sweet spot sure is hard to find. Will go over it again.

Are the bearings in good shape?
    64 Duo-Glide

There are different length damper rods.

Back a few years ago a guy named stillman talk d about this. If I remember right . The problem comes from not using a centering cone on your bearing race. Not sure what bikes the applies to. I’m sure someone will chime in and say “yes or no”

Panacea, yes. Len, understood. It's the correct length. Rob, the centering cone goes on the steering stem 1st and its there at the bottom of the steering stem and top of the lower triple tree.

After getting the front wheel up in the air, I discovered the stem nut was loose, really loose and not certain why. There had to be 1/4" movement from the assembly front to back. A readjustment was done but the bike not ridden yet as I am suffering from torn back ligaments and am in the midst of prp treatment for rejuvination of those damaged ligaments. Lumbar pain has been through the roof.

Anyway, am going to get it back on the road hopefully today as weather here is pretty darn nice. Low to mid 80's, sunny and dry. Will advise how it goes.

It should all look like this!

Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Thread Information