Thread: Popular mechanics magazine

Popular mechanics magazine

JUST LETTING EVERYONE KNOW, IF YOUR INTERESTED IN READING THIS MAGAZINE IT IS AVAILABLE ON GOOGLE BOOKS IN DIGITAL. STARTING FROM THERE FIRST ISSUE 1905 TO 2005. https://books.google.com/books?id=S9...issues_r&cad=1

Re: Popular mechanics magazine

Better look again..not all are on there.I have may 1915..one of the best for motorcycle advertisements

I am a big fan of Popular Mechanics, but only from before this modern computer-centric generation. I particularly love the issues from just after WW2 and into the mid '50s. It was a magazine for people who loved to do for themselves, or learn how to do something new, and different. I also loved the illustrations, and plans for all kinds of weird do-dads. I am currently a subscriber to PM, but it is now a goofy, techno-nerd publication, and rarely visits the kind of do-it-yourself, pull up you pants kind of articles that defined Popular Mechanics.

4. Re: Popular mechanics magazine

When I was a kid I had a book called "The Boy Mechanic", which was a collection of Popular Mechanics projects for boys. One was a crossbow made from a leaf spring, another was an iceboat using a motorcycle engine and a hand carved wooden propeller. Today they'd probably get sued just for publishing such a book.

7,000 ft up on the Palmer Divide in the Colorado Rocky Mtns

Quote Originally Posted by Charles.L.Pitts View Post
    When I was a kid I had a book called "The Boy Mechanic", which was a collection of Popular Mechanics projects for boys. One was a crossbow made from a leaf spring, another was an iceboat using a motorcycle engine and a hand carved wooden propeller. Today they'd probably get sued just for publishing such a book.
    I bought a reprint of that book from Lindsey Publications years ago, unfortunately, they went out of business around 2010-11. You might find a used one on Amazon. My Dad built us kids a 3 wheel go-kart from a barn door from plans in Popular Mechanics back in the late '50s (yeah, I lived on a dairy farm). Two wheels up front with an old car steering wheel to drive with, bench seat so the 3 of us could ride, one wheel in the back driven by a B&S lawnmower engine, geared at a fast walk, kill switch to stop. Drove millions of miles (in my 6-9 yr. old mind) all over the farm yard. No seat belts, no brakes, no rollbars, no injuries, all fun. Kids, now days, can't get those type of experiances/memories from a cellphone. Too bad. Doc

Thread Information