Thread: 1970 FLH front brake

1. 1970 FLH front brake

I recently rebuilt front brake drums in good shape new shoes all hardware installed brake cable tube lever all hooked up. My question is how is it supposed to function when I pull lever it doesnít return to start position is this normal seems like there should be a spring to return it back I have not ridden it since install needs a new solenoid Iím waiting for had no front brakes before .

2. Re: 1970 FLH front brake

Handlebar Lever should return when released. No other springs than what is on the brake shoes pulling them back together after the lever is released.

3. Re: 1970 FLH front brake

Quote Originally Posted by LowBikeMike View Post
    Handlebar Lever should return when released. No other springs than what is on the brake shoes pulling them back together after the lever is released.
    Not sure if I just need to pull more slack in cable of course springs are on shoes I think Iíll try pulling cable tighter

4. Re: 1970 FLH front brake

You have too much slack in the cable, probably so much that the adjuster will not be able to take it up. Open the drum back up, when you tighten down the cable nut to the brake lever, the lever needs to be rotated to introduce tension from the spring. If you leave it fully released and tighten the cable, too much slack. I hope that description helps, still having first cup of coffee and technical words not coming to me.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

5. Re: 1970 FLH front brake

Ok That makes sense I have never had mechanical cable brakes before. While I’m on brakes anyone know where I can get rear brake lines premade and ready to install .

Re: 1970 FLH front brake

Quote Originally Posted by tjg4036 View Post
    Ok That makes sense I have never had mechanical cable brakes before. While I’m on brakes anyone know where I can get rear brake lines premade and ready to install .
    Custom Chrome, Drag Specialties, V-Twin, J&P, any of the aftermarket companies have them.
    http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/s..._142284_142287
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Thread Information