Thread: Shoulda paid attention

Shoulda paid attention

On my frame project I am trying to figure out how to get the correct distance after a bend to the point where it mates. I'm talking about the back top tubes mating to the main frame back bone. It is simple geometry, A+B=C squared.Trying to figure in what I need for the cope and the offset angle really throws a wrench into it. I cut the tube long so I have some room to move but it still leaves me with trying to make that final cut right. I hated school,I shoulda paid attention.

I have run into this type of thing in my work as a carpenter and millwright, where knowing just the basic formula to make a cut or find a length or angle would save me many headaches and material.

Re: Shoulda paid attention

Post a photo

I'll have to. I just came up out of the dungeon, I have to redo what I thought was finished for welding. I stood back to look at the final product and noticed that the main bends are off enough to make me tear it apart.Trouble is I need to order some more tube.I need to try a different approach. I'm doing my bend then having to try to cut for the fit to cope. I think I will do it just backwards and do my cope then do the bend.Maybe that will work better. Trying to make two pieces identical is a pisser!
    Last edited by nmaineron; 10-13-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Pics of my ACME bender and the ass end of my project. What I have problems with is the cope of the two tubes at the back bone, 26° from the axle forward and 26° from the bend to the back bone, plus the angle of offset at the back bone. Coping isn't so much of the problem, I can run back and forth to the grinder all day long.Being able to accurately determine the length of the run, after the bend,and getting the cope template correct would save me a lot of time and tube :-)

Last edited by nmaineron; 10-17-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Thread Information