Thread: Burnishing Tool

Burnishing Tool

I'm considering buying one of these to burnish the check ball seat, anyone used this v-twin one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

7,000 ft up on the Palmer Divide in the Colorado Rocky Mtns

Re: Burnishing Tool

I use a pushrod from a Ford 289-302. It's got the right size ball welded to each end (use fine valve lapping paste to burnish the seat). I just went to an older engine machine shop in Denver and ask if they had any. The guy pointed to a trash can and said "Take all the ones you want. We replace them with new ones." I got about a dozen that were straight & not rusted. Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc37W View Post
    I use a pushrod from a Ford 289-302. It's got the right size ball welded to each end (use fine valve lapping paste to burnish the seat). I just went to an older engine machine shop in Denver and ask if they had any. The guy pointed to a trash can and said "Take all the ones you want. We replace them with new ones." I got about a dozen that were straight & not rusted. Doc
    Ah thanks for the tip Doc. When you do the burnishing, do you turn in one direction, say clockwise only? How much pressure do you apply?

I purchased a burnishing tool from Steve LeMay at reserection cycle. Tool was lovely but it didn’t solve my problem.
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1976 FLH

http://1944WL.webs.com

7,000 ft up on the Palmer Divide in the Colorado Rocky Mtns

Quote Originally Posted by 50pan50 View Post
    Ah thanks for the tip Doc. When you do the burnishing, do you turn in one direction, say clockwise only? How much pressure do you apply?
    I use it like the valve lapping rod. That is, place the pushrod between your palms, push against each other & with a back & forth motion to rotate the rod and push down at the same time. I do that a couple of times, pull the rod out, wipe out the seat with a long cotton swab on a stick, and observe it. If the seat ring isn't complete all the way round, or still has pits in it, I re-apply some more lapping compound to the ball and do it some more. When the ring is complete all the way round, I carefully wipe all the compound out of the cavitiy, as you don't want any going thru the pump or engine! Doc

Thanks mate.

sometime you need to use old pump ball.tap it with hammer lightly, read LIGHTLY then lap again to get a good seal .make sure you get all lapping compond out of pump.i like to take pump off/apart make sure of lapping compound.that stuff dont o
    do rod bearings any favaors.my 2 cents for the day

Thread Information