Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1948 EL Panhead ... Bringing it back to life

1948 EL Panhead ... Bringing it back to life

Bought new, laid down when a car turned in front of him in the summer of 1956, bent the springer front end, stored in his basement ever since. Time for me to bring Dads (RIP) old Harley back to life in it's original form. He took it totally apart and actually bought all the parts to repair it, new gaskets rings and plugs to freshen up the top end etc. But he never got to it. Never even opened up the bags of new parts. He was a hoarder and he was off to the next shiny object. I am just hoping that we didn't throw away too many parts that went with the old bike. We took 18 tons of garbage to the dump (did I say he was a hoarder?) and since starting to put it back together using Palmer's books as a reference I now recognize at least a couple of parts that we tossed that we shouldn't have. But anyway here goes. I will post pics of progress as I go. There are lots of small parts that I think were for the Harley but I am not sure since they were mixed in with lots of parts for his numerous old cars. I will ask questions along the way to see if anyone here can help me recognize the bits and where they go or if they are old car parts/trash.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 1948 EL Panhead ... Bringing it back to life

Some more progress pics.

A couple more for now. The old leather saddle bags and seat were stiff as boards from sitting and drying out. They are slowly coming back to life as I oil them and rub them down. The rear fender is an interesting piece of late 40's bling. Also I get a kick out of his old matching kidney belt, goggles and leather riding hat as well as her hat and goggles. Fun stuff.

Sorting cans of fasteners today looking for Harley stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Sorting cans of fasteners today looking for Harley stuff.
    ...look for at bolt heads with CP 1035 and CP 1038 on them...they would be for your bike.
    Not sure when HD switched form CP 1035 to CP 1038 was exactly (HD tended not to throw stock away so maybe bike would have both bolts...maybe a transition year??).
    I have heard from owners of '48 Pans that have different combinations of these two bolts...have to double check Palmers book...

All bolts are not marked as posted above. If they are special items made in house the heads are blank. If you aren't sure on them post pictures!
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Ok thanks. I do see a bunch marked CP 1035. And several that are custom that I think go with the bike. The parkerizing helps some in identifying the Harley stuff too I find.

Front bumper? Or something to do with the windscreen? I don't see how it would attach to the fender but it fits the size and fender arc.

How about these? They were in a coffee can that had a lot of Harley parts like CP1035 bolts and the new spark plugs etc but there were several car parts in there as well. They look like they are parkerized although it is pretty light. Also they are 5/16 fine thread which seems like it was used a lot on this bike.IMG_2856.jpg

And how about this? Harley part? Again it is in a box that has a mix of old car chrome parts and Harley fender trim.

Thread Information