Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New from the PNW

Re: New from the PNW

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    I would take both the fork and frame to Wasco. A hit hard enough to bend the fork can also affect the frame.
    Yeah good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Yeah we have all these pictures of him and her riding it wearing the leather jacket, goggles, kidney belt and leather hats. And the newspaper article about the wreck in 1956. Fun stuff. On the paint ... a friend had been bugging me for a while to sell the bike to him. He came to look at it about a month ago. I asked him what his plan would be and he said sandblast everything, powder coat and paint it all, rechrome parts adding chrome where it didnít have any, replace all the leather etc. Then he was going to sell it. I just couldnít see that. Seemed like a crime actually. So told him no and thatís what got me off the dime to start working on it.

Small world. He lived in Spokane. Half way between Spokane and Cheney by Marshall if you know where that is. Several of the old cars are still there and we are working through selling them off. He also had a house in the Tri Cities. Thatís where the bike was. He was a railroader and stayed at either house depending on where work took him.
    For sure, I ride the Cheney / Spokane Road often on my old bikes and sometimes even swing through Marshall. I knew of a guy in Marshall who had 40s era Indian, but can't recall his name, He might not even still be living. It would be a punishable crime to do what your buddy proposed... The bike is worth significantly more preserved than even correctly restored, in my opinion, and an amateur misguided approach as your buddy suggested would kill the value to any knowledgeable person. Please don't even consider selling to that guy.

Welcome to the forum. And all the best on your project!!

Quote Originally Posted by mcarver View Post
    For sure, I ride the Cheney / Spokane Road often on my old bikes and sometimes even swing through Marshall. I knew of a guy in Marshall who had 40s era Indian, but can't recall his name, He might not even still be living. It would be a punishable crime to do what your buddy proposed... The bike is worth significantly more preserved than even correctly restored, in my opinion, and an amateur misguided approach as your buddy suggested would kill the value to any knowledgeable person. Please don't even consider selling to that guy.
    I am just curious. What about painting the frame but leave everything else original? The frame checked out straight already. The forks are being straightened at WASCO. I ask because the frame was sitting on the basement floor and it has a little surface rust. I can easily wire wheel that off but then I am wondering if I should just treat it with some Gibbs to protect it or if I should paint it. All opinions are welcome. I am stripping the bike back down after the dry assembly now so I will have to decide on the frame soon before I begin final assembly.
    48 EL Panhead

Yeah we have all these pictures of him and her riding it wearing the leather jacket, goggles, kidney belt and leather hats. And the newspaper article about the wreck in 1956. Fun stuff. On the paint ... a friend had been bugging me for a while to sell the bike to him. He came to look at it about a month ago. I asked him what his plan would be and he said sandblast everything, powder coat and paint it all, rechrome parts adding chrome where it didnít have any, replace all the leather etc. Then he was going to sell it. I just couldnít see that. Seemed like a crime actually. So told him no and thatís what got me off the dime to start working on it.

Small world. He lived in Spokane. Half way between Spokane and Cheney by Marshall if you know where that is. Several of the old cars are still there and we are working through selling them off. He also had a house in the Tri Cities. Thatís where the bike was. He was a railroader and stayed at either house depending on where work took him.
    Welcome Maxine, I am in the Tri-Cities!
    UPSROD

Quote Originally Posted by ups View Post
    Welcome Maxine, I am in the Tri-Cities!
    Thanks. I grew up there. We still get back there to visit family fairly often.
    48 EL Panhead

Thanks. I grew up there. We still get back there to visit family fairly often.
    Me too, been here all but three years of my life! What was your dad's name?
    UPSROD

Thread Information