Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indian chief transmission mainshaft

Re: Indian chief transmission mainshaft

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    Your history of Indian is way off.
    i lived through some of those years and my recollection is a lot like 1950Panhead's factual recounting. Indian bellied up, for our purposes, when they stopped making Chiefs with a final batch for the PDNY. Indian was dead, gone, lights off. The English and Italian and all the rest of the drama performed after that was just soap opera, almost a spectator sport. Indian was dead.

And existing inventories led owners to one stash of spare parts after another in the following years. I remember that it was right about 1973 that the old stuff started running out, entrepreneurs got organized and the modern repop industry was born. What you recall, Eric?
    Last edited by Sarge; 09-21-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

for parts to be exhausted by 1973 is pure BS . NOS parts are still available on ebay still in cosmoline , the parts are not exhausted yet . theres still motors in crates . HD parts are still available in cosmoline from WW2 . theres an aftermarket available for both brands , some from china , india , usa , europe . John Brockhouse took over Indian in 1949 and started importing his brands from england in 1949 , Indian sales corp sold Brit bikes , why continue with an american Chief ? who ever the worker was , isnt a reliable source then or now , I buy NOS when possible . no one will pay $700 for mainshaft , not until the parts are exhausted

I had so many Indian gears & Shafts & when selling could barely get more than scrap price for mint parts.I seriously thought about acrapping all of them...until I sold the lot for the price of a couple harley shafts.

Indian went out of business at the right time for future collectors. Many dealers, and aficionados of the Indian brand preserved their bikes, and parts and there are legendary stories of massive hoards of NOS Indian parts. People like Jim Sutter, Sammy Pierce, Indian Joe Martin, Chuck Myles, Bob Stark etc.,etc. had mountains of parts. Indian probably had/has the best parts, and bike survival rate of any motorcycle. Unfortunately, most antique marques were not so lucky, with many of them virtually gone due to scrape drives, and lack of interest. Indian dodged that bullet. I got my first Indian Chief in 1974. I got an NOS Corbin speedo from Indian Joe Martin for $25. Complete rear brake, and drum from AIMCO for $45. I never had problems getting parts for Indians; except for 4 cylinders.

That's what 1950Panhead & I said: "People like Jim Sutter, Sammy Pierce, Indian Joe Martin, Chuck Myles, Bob Stark etc.,etc. had mountains of parts." Sure, I got a set of Harley Speedster bars with all the gee-gaws from Indian Joe in 1973 for $25, tagged and mailed through the USPO. But by that time most the OEM "good stuff" was running out. Sure, you could still get 2000 engine sprockets, but much of what people were looking for had been pretty well picked through by the 1970s, kick starting today's aftermarket. Friday, on old parts availability i'll just say, "What's left is in tiny numbers, and prices have risen astronomically."
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

Thread Information