Thread: 65 Pan engine rebuild

65 Pan engine rebuild

This is finished now, (as much as a vintage Harley can be) I had a Thread on the Hydra-Glide forum, but I'll recap here for those that are not on there.
    I have a 65 Electra Glide I bought in 1973. The original owner did not take care of the machine, and Harley had some parts hardness issues, so the original engine was blown in about 5000 miles. I bought it as a basketcase, and rode it to college with no trim, no muffler and just a windshield & bags. Over the years it was a chrome whore, painted like a bass boat (BIG flakes) a real Garbage Barge & even pulled a trailer. The last time the engine was apart was 1988.
    So in October of 2015 I rode the bike to a vintage bike show 50 miles from home. On the way home I was uncomfortable with noises coming from the engine. I pulled & tore down the engine, the only issue I found was excess side play on the rods. I had been working with a machinist for a couple of years, but he was unable due to health issues to take on my build. I found someone kinda local that rides old bikes, and he said he would like to build my engine.
    I furnished all the parts except rod & pinion rollers. He was supposed to supply those. I got the engine back in short order. It looked good & rolled smooth.
    However on the first start, I found he had used the 64 & earlier oil pump gasket between the case and pump body, that left the chain oiler port open. It peed oil all on the ground. I carefully pulled the pump and used the correct gasket. Fail #1

Re: 65 Pan engine rebuild

After replacing the oil pump gasket and riding the first 100 miles, a few miles later it made a funny skritchy noise, and after that had a regular click, but no miss. I had several old-timers listen, took apart the primary to check the compensator, then took off the cam cover to inspect. The rear intake cam roller had skidded and had 2 flat spots. Fail #2.
    I fixed that and rode to the 500 mile oil change, that was July 2016. I hurried thru an oil change to take the bike to the local show, and cut the filter apart when I got home (yep, 4 new quarts already installed & ran) The oil filter was FULL of metal filings. I called and took the engine back to the builder, He flushed it, replaced the cam bearing, and I picked it back up. Fail #3
    I never had confidence in the engine, on the highway @ 60mph the lifters would go flat, then pump right back up finally at just over 1800 miles I had enough and tore back into it. Fail #4

So first of June this year my first choice machinist was helping me diagnose issues over the phone, the pinion bushing in the cover did not look good, he had me put a dial indicator on the end of the pinion. .009" run out. He said pull it & bring it over. (Oh did I mention the bike was supposed to go to Sturgis in August ?)
    I replaced all the same parts & even more, bought a Pinion Shaft & Rod set from the company closing out the Dixie inventory.
    Nothing on the flywheels had been tight enough or torqued, there was loose (cheap) RTV all thru the engine. The female rod race had a piece of material missing the size of your pinky nail. We got it back together and I had it running June 23rd.
    I spent the end of June & all July putting on break-in miles. I'd make a 100 mile loop and come home & chase oil seeps. By the time to load up, I had 790 trouble free miles, and it was basically dry.
    I went to Sturgis, we rode a little over 900 miles in 6 days. At first it wasn't dialed in & seated so the first time headed out of deadwood I had to drop to third, by the last trip it climbed out in high, no worries.
    I'll go back & add pics, I had bypass surgery,(a week after we got home!) and it seems I'll be home, bored for a while

My home computer will not let me log onto the Hydra-Glide site in eithe Safari or Firefox so I don't get the opportunity to check in there as much as I used to. That said, couple of questions. Is your 65 basically a stock redo? Trying to find one that I can observe and make notes from. I have owned my 65 sinc October of '70 and I am finally at the point where I am taking it back to completely stock (or as close as I can).

Yes, it's a very stock bike. Deluxe Buddy Seat, Dual Exhaust 5.00x16 bias ply tires. The only update/improvement to the engine is 73+ later oil pump drive gears to speed up oil pump.
    Still have original valve seats, cast iron guides, it's Std Bore (had OEM NOS cylinder kits I used on first build in 2016)
    I wont call it a 'restoration' because there are still too-many chrome brackets & options. (Bates Ride-Off Stand, my favorite)

Thread Information