Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What ya gonna do when they come for you

What ya gonna do when they come for you

Since most of us here are almost as old as the motorcycles we have , (or for some look older than the ones they have), what are your thoughts or plans for your ... STUFF ? In my case I have no kids to leave it to and most of the younger people I know that I could possibly leave it to would probably sell it soon after. I don't have a fraction of what some of you here have but still to someone they would fight over the rights to own it. In a ... Shit could happen moment, Say you and your significant other where to ride off together to the happy hunting grounds, what if any plans do you have or are you going to let the chips fall where ever? I will be 70 next week and I think about this from time to time. I'm in no hurry to put what I do have on EBAY next week but there will come a time when ya put the farm up for sale and move on. Some of you here have amassed a huge collection of both bikes and motorcycle related stuff, Just asking.

Re: What ya gonna do when they come for you

My thoughts are, as long as I can keep them, I will. Our finances are okay and we don't need to sell anything so the motorcycles are financially neutral. As I have told other people; if you still love the bikes you have, then they have value to you. If you're ambivalent about them, or need the money, sell. If a person needs to sell, who give a shit what they may be worth in the future, you need the money now and the bikes are an asset that can help you. In my case, I love looking at them, dinking with them, riding the ones that run, and hoping to ride the ones that don't. Even when I'm a decrepit old bastard, I know I'll still love to look at them with love, and whatever passion is still left in me. After I'm pushing up daisies, I'll be way beyond caring where they are

I guess my next of kin will just have to have an auction and learn how to use eBay.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

You may live another 20-30 years and may need some type of care, the STUFF can pay for all that.

5. Re: What ya gonna do when they come for you

We have had this conversation, wife and I. If we both kick it at the same time, I really don't give a shit how it plays out with the fighting and bickering over who wants what. If I go first, I have one bike I have told my wife to give to my brother, after that she can sell whatever she needs to, some people in our lives to help her not get ripped off.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

People should get ready for a party at my place, the wife says she is dumping everything at the curb when I go.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    ... Even when I'm a decrepit old bastard, I know I'll still love to look at them with love, and whatever passion is still left in me....)
    "When"?

Heh Heh.

8. Re: What ya gonna do when they come for you

I wonder about value as time goes by. If there is no interest shown by younger people in the future , will these parts and bikes we are paying outrageous prices for currently, be worth way less ?.I am 57 and feel like I am one of the younger guys involved in this subject. I told my old lady If I croak, to take everything off the bike and sell it one piece at a time . I know that is not what most want to hear , but people are making a lot off of things they didn't pay much $ for , so I hope the tiny part I paid $100.00 today ( that cost someone a couple of bucks fifteen years ago) is still worth that much or more ten years from now ?? Maybe muscle cars too ? Not a prediction just a question.

If a person is worried about dying before their significant other, and believes that person will need the assets from the motorcycle collection, my advice is; sell now, and put the money in something safe, that will grow. As I said before, if you still love, and enjoy your bikes, that is happiness, which is good for your health, and that is priceless. I know the AMCA is obsessed with trying to force this hobby on kids, but that won't work, never has, and never will. I've given up on this current generation of self absorbed, cell phone addicted, techno-nerds and hope their children have better taste, and more sense.

I'm leaving it for the crows. Much of it doesn't mean much to anyone but me and I like having what I have. I will probably take the kids aside and try to school them a bit on whats what and what it may be worth. I'm just not going to worry about it.

Thread Information