Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearbox oil seal question

Gearbox oil seal question

Hi,

My Pan has a significant oil leak. It lives on the side stand and when I stand it up to back out of the garage for a ride it leaves a nice continous trail of oil on the drive. By the time I get to the road the leaking has all but stopped. Its gear box oil and I have deduced that it is the main shaft seal in behind the clutch. I have a new one with the cork gasket and lock ring coming form the US but was wondering if there is anything else I should be checking and perhaps replacing whilst I have the transmission cover and clutch off? My EL is a regular rider and I want to keep it that way.

Cheers

Murray
    52 EL
    Still no Indian
    2017 Deluxe
    No car

Re: Gearbox oil seal question

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Hi,

My Pan has a significant oil leak. It lives on the side stand and when I stand it up to back out of the garage for a ride it leaves a nice continous trail of oil on the drive. By the time I get to the road the leaking has all but stopped. Its gear box oil and I have deduced that it is the main shaft seal in behind the clutch. I have a new one with the cork gasket and lock ring coming form the US but was wondering if there is anything else I should be checking and perhaps replacing whilst I have the transmission cover and clutch off? My EL is a regular rider and I want to keep it that way.

Cheers

Murray
    52 EL
    Still no Indian
    2017 Deluxe
    No car
    Check the support bracket bolt to make sure it hasn't punched through into the kicker cover.

Does the leak come from the primary cover or from the bottom of the tranny? Are you over filling the tranny? Does your kickstand allow the bike to lean over too far? If you are going to replace the seal, while you're in there check for a loose fit on the mainshaft. with the clutch basket removed, can you jiggle the shaft? Is the bearing race secure in the case? Is that enough questions?
    64 Duo-Glide

If the bushing in the main drive hear is loose, you will never get a seal to hold up, check that out.

The large main drive seal is behind the drive sprocket & would leak while sitting, more than after stood up.
    As Panacea suggests
    This sounds more like engine oil coming out of the primary from mild wet sump or the small seal from trans main drive to mainshaft is possible also.

6. Re: Gearbox oil seal question

Howdy Murray,

Does indeed sound like a wet sump with that trail of oil, trans mainshaft leaks basically leave a puddle on your floor and if sitting long enough on the stand, will leak down to level and then quit.

At any rate, Iíve been blasted on here in the past for mentioning this bandaid but barring a completely knackered sprocket driver bushing as pan620 mentions you can give yourself a bit more latitude by fitting a SuperNut, I run these on all 3 of mine and they have cured all mainshaft leaks. Just make sure to apply grey Permatex to your broached splines before refitting the final drive sprocket. ..... okey dokey, let the flaming in my direction begin.
    Last edited by peterg440; 07-15-2018 at 01:40 PM.

This thread make me smile none of my tranny leak wondering why,Ray
    If a work deserves to be made it deserves to be well made and even if that work is well made there is always a way to improve it

Oh yeah, ray makes a spacer with an "O"ring within it's bore that seals against the smooth area on the mainshaft. If you don't overfill the tranny it won't leak there anyway...
    64 Duo-Glide

Thank you for all that, just the commentary I was hoping for.

More questions:
    50pan50, Having trouble identifying the support bracket/bolt you refer to. Any chance you could look it up in the parts catalog and give me the page or part number?

Panacea, It appears to be coming from under the primary , not currently overfilled and still leaking, kickstand has always had way to much lean so I use a 2 inch block under it. Thanks for the other comments. I'll note them for when I pull it down.

I'm pretty sure its gearbox oil. Nice and clean compared with the engine oil.

Duffycycles, so that I'm clear on this, can you give me the part number for the small seal you refer to.

Peter 440, Supernut? Rays spacer? Methinks I have more research to do.

Once again thanks all for your comments.

Murray

10. Re: Gearbox oil seal question

Just a suggestion, I run 60WT in my Flathead Motor which is basically dark green. Fluid in the transmission is red. Makes identifying who is leaking a lot easier when looking at a puddle. Just my .02. Good luck.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

Thread Information