Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 48FL will stock mech. brake parts fit into drum that now has the newer aluminium one?

1. 48FL will stock mech. brake parts fit into drum that now has the newer aluminium one?

48FL will stock mechanical brake parts fit into drum that now has the newer aluminium one?

Is the wheel and drum compatible?

Re: 48FL will stock mech. brake parts fit into drum that now has the newer aluminium

Are you saying you have an aluminum drum?
    VPH-D

3. Re: 48FL will stock mech. brake parts fit into drum that now has the newer aluminium

Its the aluminium backing plate like on a newer pan or older shovel, I admit I just assumed the drum was steel?

See photo below in link

https://cdn.rideapart.com/wp-content...adReview05.jpg
    Last edited by Packrat48; 06-15-2018 at 01:12 PM.

4. Re: 48FL will stock mech. brake parts fit into drum that now has the newer aluminium

'48 was a springer

5. Re: 48FL will stock mech. brake parts fit into drum that now has the newer aluminium

Quote Originally Posted by Charles.L.Pitts View Post
    '48 was a springer
    Yes it is. But.... Will that newer style DRUM and/or wheel work with the springer mechanical brake parts?
    Last edited by Packrat48; 06-15-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Re: 48FL will stock mech. brake parts fit into drum that now has the newer aluminium

You can make anything work, but it's not worth the effort. I also have a '48FL and they should have the proper brake assembly for both looks, and value. I also have a '51FL and I can tell you that it's front brake isn't any better than the '48 front brake. Both can be made to work better by arcing the shoes, using different brake material, and finessing everything from the brake lever down through the cable, drum, shoes, and brake cam.

7. Re: 48FL will stock mech. brake parts fit into drum that now has the newer aluminium

I am using the correct 1948 backing plate, and all correct 1948 brake parts.. My question is: the wheel and the drum that is attached to the wheel.. is it the same as the drum that was on a 48 and will the 48 brake parts fit in it? Someone put a glide on it, im putting the springer back, but will I need a different wheel as well as the brake parts?

Thanks for the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    You can make anything work, but it's not worth the effort. I also have a '48FL and they should have the proper brake assembly for both looks, and value. I also have a '51FL and I can tell you that it's front brake isn't any better than the '48 front brake. Both can be made to work better by arcing the shoes, using different brake material, and finessing everything from the brake lever down through the cable, drum, shoes, and brake cam.

No, the Hydra-Glide drum is quite different and will not work with the '48 Spring fork brake backing plate, and brake shoe assembly. The wheel hubs are identical, and that will work. It sounds like you just need a Spring Fork drum, and that would be a cast iron drum that was used later on, and in 1948.
    Last edited by axeric; 06-15-2018 at 07:17 PM.

9. Re: 48FL will stock mech. brake parts fit into drum that now has the newer aluminium

Thank you very much! The bike needs a springer.. She looks all wrong with that glide on there.. At least I can use the wheel

The Star Hub wheel will bolt on to either brake.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Thread Information