Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil loss while riding the 65

oil loss while riding the 65

I am losing oil out of the engine breather. about a 2 quarts in 50 miles. A LOT OF OIL while riding. It is not dry sumping. Flow is good on oil return at idle then kinda get sputtery as i rev it up.
    I have taken the stock pump off thinking possible sheared key. All keys are in tact appears to be no damage to gears. I have tried to turn the oil pump shaft but it is tight with no excessive play. So before I open up this cam chest is the any other things i should look at?? I was told that possibly breather gear is bad.
    This all started after my cracked oil tank Debacle.
    Will the motor have to come out??
    I have been told that you can use the s&s reed breather gear in a panhead??
    Would the pressure relief valve have anything to do with this?
    would the check ball have anything to do with this??
    would the chain oiler adjusting screw have anything to do with this??
    I am running a closed primary. all oil hoses are not obstructed. Thanks , Paddy

2. Re: oil loss while riding the 65

Did you just changed the cracked oil tank or did you do something else ? Is it an original oil tank? Are you sure you connected the oil lines in the right way?
    If it didn't do it before and you did not open the cam chest I would say the breather is ok .

Re: oil loss while riding the 65

Try turning off the rear chain oiler, and see what you get...
    VPH-D

Quote Originally Posted by VPH-D View Post
    VPH-D
    I have to put it all back togather. and give it a shot..You have had success with solving this before?? Not being a wise ass just thinking of were the rear chain oiler discharge comes out on this 65.

Quote Originally Posted by patmen View Post
    Did you just changed the cracked oil tank or did you do something else ? Is it an original oil tank? Are you sure you connected the oil lines in the right way?
    If it didn't do it before and you did not open the cam chest I would say the breather is ok .
    Yes changed the tank .all origional tank... lines are correct. I had thought maybe a piece of the spot weld got sucked through, paddy

Quote Originally Posted by VPH-D View Post
    VPH-D
    confirmed oiler was off

Paddy, I doubt this helps but about 3 yrs ago when my 65 had sit for about 2 yrs without running, I decided to start riding it more often. I first check the oil and it was almost empty, so without thinking, wet sump, I just added oil. Well you can imagine what happened when I fired it up, I think it dumped about 3 qts, so after getting hammered by the wife for messing up the driveway, I rode it for about 25 miles and it cleared up. Since then I have been riding it regular with no problems, I know this prolly don't help you but just wanted to share what had happened to me, thanks and good luck, Larry

Here is the bike I am talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry May View Post
    Paddy, I doubt this helps but about 3 yrs ago when my 65 had sit for about 2 yrs without running, I decided to start riding it more often. I first check the oil and it was almost empty, so without thinking, wet sump, I just added oil. Well you can imagine what happened when I fired it up, I think it dumped about 3 qts, so after getting hammered by the wife for messing up the driveway, I rode it for about 25 miles and it cleared up. Since then I have been riding it regular with no problems, I know this prolly don't help you but just wanted to share what had happened to me, thanks and good luck, Larry

This is more common on the nose cone models.They can have a poor sealing gasket in the 2 compartments in the cam case.They will send the oil out the breather when riding

Ok Guys , Turns out that the plastic "T' that goes from the engine case breather to the vent on tank and also goes to the primary. Melted on the inside of the T. I had taken all the hoses off seaprately and ran air through. but not realizing to run air through the plastic piece. I have the primary closed off to run closed primary. So I eliminated the T for now .Just got back 65 miles. So no oil loss. Thank god!! However the oil light comes on and stays on after a good heat up.Not like the normal rev it up and light goes out. seems more prolonged. its about 80 here today and I have 60 spectrum weight in the bike. I am also noticing a lot of pinging taking off from stop. What do ya think?? try another POS oil sender?? 70 weight??
    It never pinged this much... thanks again, Paddy

Thread Information