Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Police Blue

Re: Police Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I would get in touch with Doug at the Police Motorcycle Museum in Meredith, New Hampshire and see if they can help you out. I have seen many shades of blue on police bikes depending on the jurisdiction.

Rollo
    I called and the museum has closed and hopes to relocate one day and reopen. I was able to leave a message and hopefully will get a call back. If you have a number for Doug, that would be great. Seadub

The number I have is from his business card so I'm not sure if it is good or not. Sounds like may be not but here it is anyway 603-279-6387. Sorry but that is all I have. Only other thing is you might try the HD shop across the street and see if they know how to get in touch with him. Laconia HD 603-279-4526.

Rollo

That is the closed museum number. I called the HD shop and had to leave a message for a call back. Maybe they will know something. Who knows, they may have what I need having been across the street. As always, much appreciated. Seadub

I have a pic of a right side shift, 40's vintage flathead, 74 I think,painted blue but a really light powder blue. This was from the Acton , Maine AMCA meet from the 90's.

I was able to get a sample from Chris but it dried out before it arrived and the black sperated in it. After 4 different tries w/different solvents, we had no luck getting it to go back to liquid. I sent Chris a syringe w/a cap in an attempt to get a liquid sample that we could try for a match. One night last week, I typed in Harley Davidson Police Blue in a search on Ebay for the first time. Like pulling the handle on a one-armed bandit, this is what happened. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-1-4-pt-...53.m2749.l2649 It arrived and at first glance, I could tell it had never been opened. I shook the can and it sounded just like new. Yesterday, I took it to my painter where he mounted it in the shaker for 10 minutes. Then, we opened the can. Paint is perfect and I saw HD Police Blue for the first time. A bit darker than Skyway Blue and very easy on the eye. His paint rep is matching it up today in a true, acrylic enamel. Chris, you have a can coming when I get the exact color nailed down. This was a huge step for me and for once, I got lucky all the way around. Seadub

Quote Originally Posted by bianese View Post
    Chris, you have a can coming when I get the exact color nailed down. Seadub
    Thank you, but I have no use for it.
    I do have over 70 cans of different color H-D paint. When my painter was picking up my '36EL stuff for paint he asked if I had any painted parts with the color I wanted. I didn't but I did have two can of the color needed. :-) Dusk Gray & Royal Buff. Why those colors? Because I have never seen a '36 in that combination.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

7. Re: Police Blue

Hi Chris, I did one in those colors. It was featured in American Iron Magazine, October 2006. We saw an original paint VL at Eustis and decided that would be the colors we would go with. You're right; you just don't see those colors used. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Thank you, but I have no use for it.
    I do have over 70 cans of different color H-D paint. When my painter was picking up my '36EL stuff for paint he asked if I had any painted parts with the color I wanted. I didn't but I did have two can of the color needed. :-) Dusk Gray & Royal Buff. Why those colors? Because I have never seen a '36 in that combination.
    Just wanted to replace the paint that you sent and then some. You said your's was getting thick. You never know when someone might ask for a sample:-). As always, much appreciated. Seadub

Quote Originally Posted by bianese View Post
    Just wanted to replace the paint that you sent and then some. You said your's was getting thick. You never know when someone might ask for a sample:-). As always, much appreciated. Seadub
    Maybe you could get an ole metal Venetian blind and cut it into 1" lengths and have your painter shoot it to be used as samples.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Maybe you could get an ole metal Venetian blind and cut it into 1" lengths and have your painter shoot it to be used as samples.
    Done. Seadub

Thread Information