Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good carb for a J Harley

Re: Good carb for a J Harley

I want to thank everyone for their insight, and replies. I've owned way too many bikes that used a H series Schebler carb, and they have always been a struggle; but this '16J takes the cake. As an example, my '16 Excelsior had a beautiful screw-on Schebler that looked perfect, but no amount of begging would make it run. I had another screw-on body, changed out the parts and it started right up. . . Now, a good mechanic would have been able to figure out what was wrong with that first body. However, "a good mechanic" is the operative phrase in that sentence. I just stink at noodling out a motor problem so again, I want to thank everyone for your comments, and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    I want to thank everyone for their insight, and replies. I've owned way too many bikes that used a H series Schebler carb, and they have always been a struggle; but this '16J takes the cake. As an example, my '16 Excelsior had a beautiful screw-on Schebler that looked perfect, but no amount of begging would make it run. I had another screw-on body, changed out the parts and it started right up. . . Now, a good mechanic would have been able to figure out what was wrong with that first body. However, "a good mechanic" is the operative phrase in that sentence. I just stink at noodling out a motor problem so again, I want to thank everyone for your comments, and suggestions.

If I was a good mechanic I would trade that ability for your fabrication skills any day Eric. Mechanics are cheap compared to the fab skills you have.

3. Re: Good carb for a J Harley

i think somebody mentioned a DLX 20 appropriate for a 16........ https://www.ebay.com/itm/DLX-20-Carb...0AAOSwuyNbEDe8

First, I want to thank BigLakeBob for all his help, advice, and parts for this Schebler - Linkert swap on the '16J.

The first picture shows all you need for the stock carburetor assembly is a Schebler carb, and fuel line.

The following 2 pictures show that a few more parts are needed to fit a Linkert to an early J. I had to make a new fuel line, a different throttle lever (even though I have at least 6 levers, none would work), a spacer/adapter because the fat bowl needs to clear the cylinders, and longer fasteners. I'm not happy with the carb support, and I'll have to come up with an air cleaner. Otherwise, it was easy as pie

Again, I want to thank Bob for all his help. It's the friendships you make in this great hobby of ours that are 10 times more valuable than the motorcycles.

Thread Information