Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good carb for a J Harley

Re: Good carb for a J Harley

The 3 hole mounting pattern on my M-18 Linkert will fit your J manifold without modification. The spacer was needed to clear some control rods, and cylinders; otherwise it would have bolted right up to the manifold. As Panic said, the small bore Linkerts are usually affordable, and easy to service.

i have a 1917 J with a linkert m18 on it. it bolted right up to the original intake & clears the cylinders using a small oem spacer.
    i am thinking about doing the same on my 1915 F as i still can't get the schebler carb to not drip gas out.

After messing with one H carb I would never mess with another. M carb all the way. It may not be original, but it will allow you to enjoy your Machine. you don't see many people running square Firestone tires any more either
    !

If you have to make a 1" out of spare bits: the bowl has the brass hex cover over the needle & seat, very common, used on all flathead Linkerts 1933-58. The main nozzle is the same as the 1-1/4" M-88, M-51 etc. the very common 27331-33.

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    The 3 hole mounting pattern on my M-18 Linkert will fit your J manifold without modification. The spacer was needed to clear some control rods, and cylinders; otherwise it would have bolted right up to the manifold. As Panic said, the small bore Linkerts are usually affordable, and easy to service.

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
    i have a 1917 J with a linkert m18 on it. it bolted right up to the original intake & clears the cylinders using a small oem spacer.
    i am thinking about doing the same on my 1915 F as i still can't get the schebler carb to not drip gas out.
    Thanks for the feedback on your carbs.

Knucklehead, if only my problem was just dripping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by indianut View Post
    After messing with one H carb I would never mess with another. M carb all the way. It may not be original, but it will allow you to enjoy your Machine. you don't see many people running square Firestone tires any more either
    !
    I am glad I am not the only one who is struggling with the Schebler

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    If you have to make a 1" out of spare bits: the bowl has the brass hex cover over the needle & seat, very common, used on all flathead Linkerts 1933-58. The main nozzle is the same as the 1-1/4" M-88, M-51 etc. the very common 27331-33.
    Thanks for the advice panic

John

eric, sorry to have hijacked your thread.

John

I just want to see pictures of you having fun with your 1920 Harley-Davidson, John.

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    I just want to see pictures of you having fun with your 1920 Harley-Davidson, John.
    Me too.

John

Thread Information