Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good carb for a J Harley

Re: Good carb for a J Harley

I want to thank everyone for their insight, and replies. I've owned way too many bikes that used a H series Schebler carb, and they have always been a struggle; but this '16J takes the cake. As an example, my '16 Excelsior had a beautiful screw-on Schebler that looked perfect, but no amount of begging would make it run. I had another screw-on body, changed out the parts and it started right up. . . Now, a good mechanic would have been able to figure out what was wrong with that first body. However, "a good mechanic" is the operative phrase in that sentence. I just stink at noodling out a motor problem so again, I want to thank everyone for your comments, and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by axeric View Post
    I want to thank everyone for their insight, and replies. I've owned way too many bikes that used a H series Schebler carb, and they have always been a struggle; but this '16J takes the cake. As an example, my '16 Excelsior had a beautiful screw-on Schebler that looked perfect, but no amount of begging would make it run. I had another screw-on body, changed out the parts and it started right up. . . Now, a good mechanic would have been able to figure out what was wrong with that first body. However, "a good mechanic" is the operative phrase in that sentence. I just stink at noodling out a motor problem so again, I want to thank everyone for your comments, and suggestions.

If I was a good mechanic I would trade that ability for your fabrication skills any day Eric. Mechanics are cheap compared to the fab skills you have.

3. Re: Good carb for a J Harley

i think somebody mentioned a DLX 20 appropriate for a 16........ https://www.ebay.com/itm/DLX-20-Carb...0AAOSwuyNbEDe8

First, I want to thank BigLakeBob for all his help, advice, and parts for this Schebler - Linkert swap on the '16J.

The first picture shows all you need for the stock carburetor assembly is a Schebler carb, and fuel line.

The following 2 pictures show that a few more parts are needed to fit a Linkert to an early J. I had to make a new fuel line, a different throttle lever (even though I have at least 6 levers, none would work), a spacer/adapter because the fat bowl needs to clear the cylinders, and longer fasteners. I'm not happy with the carb support, and I'll have to come up with an air cleaner. Otherwise, it was easy as pie

Again, I want to thank Bob for all his help. It's the friendships you make in this great hobby of ours that are 10 times more valuable than the motorcycles.

Hi eric, as you know I am having some trials getting my '20 to run with the Schebler. I was wondering how your '16 runs with this Linkert?

Any feedback or comments appreciated as if I cant get the Schebler to run I will be fitting something else because I want to ride it.

Thanks,

John
    Last edited by TechNoir; 05-17-2020 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling

The M-16, M-18 are both H-D 45" low performance 1" throttle disc with a specific 3-bolt flange pattern threaded 1/4-24 NS. The carburetor pictured in the adapted photo appears to be a 1". The 1" was used on low performance V and VC 74" engines. All 1" used the same throttle disc and main nozzle, so they're fairly flexible as to what engine size and tune they can accommodate.
    The M-88 is a 1-1/4" (nominal) throttle with the larger 3-bolt pattern threaded 5/16-18 NC, this size also used on VL, UL, and 1936-39 EL.
    The larger carburetor is closer to what the engine wants (the WLA rated 25 hp) but the M-88 venturi is very small at 15/16". H-D and Indian venturis were made in larger sizes: 1", 1-1/16" and 1-1/8", which I recommend.
    Which size is the J manifold flange pattern?

Hello John, this Linkert carburetor adaptation worked much better than the Schebler, however, the piston rings are worn out on my motor and I've only ridden around the neighborhood. It started easier, and the Linkert could be adjusted for idle. The real test will be on the motor with good compression, but I have no doubt the Linkert will be much easier, and pleasant to live with.

Most of my motorcycles are fitted with Schebler HX carbs and I would say I have been 80% happy with them, but that 20% was frustrating, and aggravating; to the point that replacement was the only option. As I mentioned before; the Schebler was used on most every American Big Twin, and single from the mid-teens and later so they had to be a good carb. Particularly with low grade gas, dirt roads, and poor maintenance. The Schebler HX is a mysterious carburetor too me as they seem to work like a charm when they are right; and will not work despite any human intervention when there is something wrong inside. I know that sounds like a comment from an idiot, but on 2 occasions I have jumped through burning rings of fire to get an HX to work on a 1916 Excelsior, and the 1916 Harley J. On the Excelsior, I was lucky to have a beautiful body (possibly NOS) to replace the one that didn't perform; which turned that into a 1-2 kick bike. I'm not saying an HX cannot be rebuilt, but the only reliable rebuilder that knows all the tricks is Tommo in N.Z. because his Dad was a dealer, and did extensive service work on teens era motorcycles. I believe that many of these frustrating objects on vintage motorcycles (including European, and Japanese bikes) were replaced as a standard procedure. I know that Tommo used to rebuild (I recall) 25 Scheblers at a time, to make it worth his while.

I saw your experiment with the Mikuni carb on your '20J and I think that proved your opinion that the HX is the culprit. It is so frustrating to do all the work you have done and not get a satisfactory reward. I think you should get serious about finding a Linkert, or suitable Euro, or Japanese carb and begin to enjoy the work you have put into your Harley-Davidson

Hi panic, thanks very much for your summary of the features of the M-16, M-19 and M-88. That is very useful to someone who has no experience of these carburettors.

Th "J" manifold is a three hole pattern although I cant measure the hole spacing until later today. I assume, by your comment, that some carb's have a different spacing?

eric, thanks for the feedback on your '16. Its a shame it needs rings although if its only rings its not such a big job. My rebore and homemade pistons seem to be OK so far, before the bike threw up a smokescreen whereas now, not so much.

I need a carb that will fit. By saying that I mean that one which is low enough above the air passage to clear the underside of the tanks and will also fit between the cylinders. Thats why I looked at Linkerts and then found your thread.

There are some designed for garden machinery that would fit and as an experiment (although in no way intended as a long term solution) I have ordered a new chinesium one for the huge cost of £12 including delivery and taxes. In the meantime I am looking for someting that wont look too out of place as the long term solution

All that said I have not given up on the Schebler yet but I am going around in circles. I do still have some ideas left to try so we will see how it goes but as you say it would be good to have a reliable carb that starts easily and can be adjusted for idle.

As you say, the Mikuni with the Heath Robinson manifold proved that the rest of it is good to go.

John

P.S. panic, I reread your post and see that the M-88 has a larger hole pattern. That's not an issue, a simple adaptor would fix it and I have the facilities to make one. I will still measure mine.
    Last edited by TechNoir; 05-18-2020 at 02:02 AM.

My point was that simply using the existing bolt pattern also is the least disruptive of the intake path (no "step" up or down), and prior history suggests that both 1" and 1-1/4" has worked on that engine size. The 1" is probably far less expensive since many were removed (with their manifolds) when G engines went into W frames.

Thanks for the clarification panic. That makes sense now.

Assuming that there is sufficient clearance below the tank and frame tube I would make a manifold adaptor to keep the inlet path straight.

Obviously that very much depends on what carb I fit and the clearance it needs between the top of its bore and the highest feature on the carb.

John

Thread Information