Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good carb for a J Harley

Good carb for a J Harley

I had a miserable day trying to start my 1916 J. I've had the magneto rebuilt, but I think it is not getting gas. It will only run if I pour gas into the carb. I could go on and on about my travails with Schebler H series carbs, but I think I would rather put something else on it, like a Linkert. Can anyone recommend a good Linkert match to a 61" J? Or, any other carburetor, for that matter. I have heard Linkerts used on Harley 45s are a decent match. Can anyone get it down to something more specific. Thank you for any advice.

2. Re: Good carb for a J Harley

sorry, i can't be of help Eric, i am sure someone has the answer. i remember not too long ago when Mr. Cotten took serious flak for calling H series carbs "evil." btw, do you know there is JD facebook, not my cup 'o tea, but the site is very active daily.

Re: Good carb for a J Harley

I've seen them use M16's or M18's.....

I run a DLX36 on my 61, for the sole reason that it was cheap at the time. It’s snappy and doesn’t foul plugs. I think any decent 3 bolt carb would get you down the road really. If there is a particular carb with real data to back it up I’d be all for that but for some reason most J’s don’t make it to the dyno... nor could one afford a selection of carbs .

I’ve always liked that 16 of yours. Deserves a good running engine.
    27 JD (almost)

5. Re: Good carb for a J Harley

Quote Originally Posted by whp View Post
    I run a DLX36 on my 61, for the sole reason that it was cheap at the time. It’s snappy and doesn’t foul plugs. I think any decent 3 bolt carb would get you down the road really. If there is a particular carb with real data to back it up I’d be all for that but for some reason most J’s don’t make it to the dyno... nor could one afford a selection of carbs .

I’ve always liked that 16 of yours. Deserves a good running engine.
    Hi Will !!!!

You can used an Schebler DLX20 It's an option at this time.

The flange on the DLX20 is larger but maybe an early 74" manifold could be made to fit. Never tried it.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 2cam View Post
    You can used an Schebler DLX20 It's an option at this time.

I can confirm that a Linkert M88 off a 45" will work well on a 61" J or F model. My grandfather's 1923 61" F model ran a WLA carb for many many years and it ran well. My grandfather put that carb on there back in the 1950s or so. As far as I know my brother is still running it on the old bike today. From what I remember it was a stock military 42WLA carb with fixed main jet. There were piles of them around here after the war.
    Last edited by Hopper; 05-24-2018 at 03:02 AM.

9. Re: Good carb for a J Harley

If you don't find your answer here you could always reach out to members of the first cannonball and see what some of them ran, something had to work to get them across the country. Maybe Steve Barber, I think he was on a '15, I spoke to him at Oley, really pleasant and knowledgeable. Maybe Dale, he was also on a '15 I believe.

Linkert M16 or M18 3-bolt works fine.
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Thread Information