Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 39/47 Chief

39/47 Chief

I don't like to ask opinions on values of motorcycles, but I am a bit stumped on this one; and it's a bike that could be available to me. My personal opinion of it is, it's a rider that needs a lot of attention, and is far from being an affordable 'correct' restoration. It did run quite well 10 years ago but has been sitting in high humidity since that time. It's a '39 chassis, with a '47 motor, hardware store nuts and bolts, and if you really got down to it, probably a mix of parts. Paint job stinks, but is holding up well. Will need a seat, and wiring is probably funky. I know the owner well enough to know he probably has an unreasonable estimate of it's value. Just curious what people here think of it from a buyer's point of view. Sorry for the crappy picture.

2. Re: 39/47 Chief

Hi,
    If it runs and drives; $20,000.00 is about tops. $10,000.00 would probably be a 'steal'. On eBay; it might hit $20,000.00, but it might not. Some people love the look of the pre-skirted Indian era. On eBay, if a couple of bidders get into a war; the price could drift towards $25,000.00. Clean paperwork? Are both engine and frame stampings good?
    Last edited by Yellow53Chief; 04-23-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Re: 39/47 Chief

Those are very good points about the motor, and frame numbers.

if price offer jumps around , make an offer on the red thing next to it

That’s just the way I like to find them and even if the numbers don’t match, I’d pay 14k for it if I knew the engine and tranny are good. Keep it a rider and you’ll never loss a dime.

I missed a similar bike a few years back, same combo '47 chief in a '39 chassis and sheetmetal. I've always regretted it!
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

7. Re: 39/47 Chief

Quote Originally Posted by ohio-rider View Post
    ... I’d pay 14k for it if I knew the engine and tranny are good. Keep it a rider and you’ll never loss a dime.
    I agree......

Eric, you'll never be able to make a '39 or a '47 out of it (unless you get extremely lucky....or wealthy....or dishonest) so if it runs and rides, and the leaf spring Chiefs do ride nicely, even with the hard tail,....AND you can purchase it for that mid-teens number, then you can enjoy riding it and keep it for trade material when you find something else that is worth the time and effort to restore. And I don't think it looks bad at all!
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - parts accumulation stage

Quote Originally Posted by ohio-rider View Post
    Thatís just the way I like to find them and even if the numbers donít match, Iíd pay 14k for it if I knew the engine and tranny are good. Keep it a rider and youíll never loss a dime.
    you could remove the powerplant and sell it for 15!
    Eric...buy it and never look back. Those are the best looking and riding Vintage Bikes in the game!
    Last edited by indianut; 04-24-2018 at 07:18 AM.

10. Re: 39/47 Chief

There is nothing more beautiful than the 38/39 indians, IMO. They are a delight to ride, and can be made fast with carb, cam and tranny upgrades. Quite a bit of that powerplant is interchangeable with 39, and the chassis looks like it has lots of useable stuff. I wouldn't hesitate at 20k or less.

Thread Information