Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float Stuck Flooding Carb Linkert M51

Float Stuck Flooding Carb Linkert M51

i ran the bike Saturday for about 50 miles and all was well. When I returned home I let the bike run for about a minute or so after shutting off the fuel. Yesterday I wanted to go for an Easter ride and when I turned the fuel on fuel was gushing out everywhere- out the filter and the bowl vent hole. I went through most of the available posts looking for clues. I have a steel needle, i read some prefer the solid brass versus the steel needles, etc. There are no scores on the needle seating area itself, but there are scores on the three shoulders that ride in the seat diameter. The seat has less than 500 miles. Maybe it was manufactured that way-don't know, don't remember looking that closely at it when assembling the carb. I also set the needle in the bracket with the ~0.003 clearance between the crown on the needle and the retainer. I will polish the faces before reinstalling. I have two floats- the one that came out which is on the left in the pics and another that I had stashed away "made in India". It looks not any different than the one in the carb. The bowl with the float has been set up as recommended with it biased to the left by 1/16th. I am guessing that is with the pin at the 12 o'clock position as seen in the pics. The float is set at 1/4" and am ready to reassemble.

What have I missed in this process? I did fail to measure the offset when i took it apart initially.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Old fart ridin' a dirty '06 SG with bugs splatted all over and a smile on his face.

2006 FLHX
    1946 EL (long way to go to get her road worthy)
    1948 UL

Re: Float Stuck Flooding Carb Linkert M51

Personally I would change out the float at least to either one of Cotten's or a Rubber Ducky and then reassemble. Those look like brass and might have pin holes or something else going on that causes them to sink and let fuel flow and overflow'

Rollo

Float levers can be worn or poorly made causing a hangup.The bras tend to sink.The brass can be too heavy for the 1/4" measurment...the height in bowl is the important part.I've not seen that kind of needle ?The viton tipped needles can hang up.

Always remember "brass floats, don't float".
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Thanks. I polished up the needle, reset the float and put it back together and it still pours out. I am going to pull it apart and put in the other Made in India float and try again. I had to come up for more coffee and rethink everything. GRRRR
    Old fart ridin' a dirty '06 SG with bugs splatted all over and a smile on his face.

2006 FLHX
    1948 UL

I wouldn't give 2 cents for those India made brass floats,they never worked.Gas would eat the solder in about 1 day.
    Kokesh cycle made some [before he passed] that worked if you set them at 3/8".Even those would get holes & sink after a few years.

OK. Got it on the floats. The India float did fix my problem for now. I inspected the float lever with a 10X loupe and there is a fair bit of wear at the pin diameters. I will order one of Cottens and also order a spare lever for the next time. i wanted to see how much crap was in the float so I cut it open on the bandsaw. It had quite a bit of fuel in it and lots of fine grit. If I had a scale I would have weighed both of them to see the difference. Buoyancy is such a simple thing. The bike did start on about the 4th kick. Happy about that.

Thanks again for your help.

2006 FLHX
    1948 UL

You can get on of Mr Big's floats right on this site...just sayin'!!
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

berno56, when you install your new float, either Cotten's Durable float or one from MrBig, make sure the float doesn't come in contact with the carburetor stem or the sides of the float bowl. There's considerable latitude in how the float is fastened to the float lever, so if the float isn't attached just right, it can hang up, producing the flooding out the vent hole that you're seeing.

A trick (from Cotten) I learned is to use a dry-erase marker to paint the bowl stem. Attach the float to the lever and install the float-lever combination. After you install the bowl, turn the carb upside-down a few times, and listen for the float to move up and down.

Remove the bowl and inspect the float. If it has made contact with the bowl stem, you'll see a bare spot on the bowl stem plus some of the the marker on the float. Adjust as needed and repeat the process until no more of the marker gets scrubbed off by the movement of the float.

You can also paint the upper inside rim of the float bowl, but if you have the float lined up in approximately the right location, it's less likely to contact the bowl sides than the bowl stem, in my experience.

Rubone-thanks. I didn't know about that.

And thanks Mark. I will learn fast.

2006 FLHX
    1948 UL

Thread Information