Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomcat's New Garage and workshop

Tomcat's New Garage and workshop

So over the winter I got heat and a 90 amp sub panel in the garage. Last week I started framing the basement shop. Are there any Licensed electricians here? I have some electrical questions as to how many outlets to ruff in. added a drawing.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
    1947 EL
    1948 FL Project
    1947WL Project
    2000FLSTC

But there's booze in the blender
    And soon it will render
    That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

You never get better....you just get less awful. "Joe Walsh"

Re: Tomcat's New Garage and workshop

Dang! You are a busy man.

...looks good Tomcat...hard to see, did you run the pink up to the top?
    Electrical depends on you local regulations...get someone local for a case of beer.
    There are a specs. to the height off the floor and the spacing in between....any how many on one circuit....
    Also a spec that an outlet needs to be "x" amount from the entrance (door)...
    Last edited by Derek43WLC; 03-23-2018 at 04:53 PM.

My basement had to be all GFI outlets and 48 inches above the floor. Plus i had to pay a $5.00 permit per outlet.

this is a half wall foundation. I ran the 1" foam board the height of the foundation glued with the special adhesive for foam board. My builder said I didn't need it as the foundation is water tight and has foam board on the outside. But I wanted it anyways and plus Tommy Silva on this old house recommends it for an added moisture barrier. the wall is tied into the sill plate.

this is a walkout basement. So outlets will be the standard height from the floor. GFCI and ACFI protected. And I will put 8 outlets on one circuit for the motorcycle shop/family room and 3 on a second one for future outlets when I do the other foundation wall this winter along with the laundry room.

it'll get drywall for now....but future I want reclaimed barn wood for the walls. I've been looking in the area and lots of half fallen down barns around this area.
    Last edited by tomcat1; 03-23-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    1947 EL
    1948 FL Project
    1947WL Project
    2000FLSTC

But there's booze in the blender
    And soon it will render
    That frozen concoction that helps me hang on

You never get better....you just get less awful. "Joe Walsh"

Glad to see the important big grey box is in place...
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Sean, been looking through pics but can't find what I'm looking for. I did a big shop a couple years back , 3500 sq ft with three sections, 12' ceilings, 5 lifts, etc. It was a block wall like yours. I did a wainscot of mini corrugated steel on the block section over 2" foam with a custom made but simple sill on it. The idea being welding and grinding sparks not able to penetrate. I'll get a picture for you. Great garage!!
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat1 View Post
    this is a half wall foundation. I ran the 1" foam board the height of the foundation glued with the special adhesive for foam board. My builder said I didn't need it as the foundation is water tight and has foam board on the outside. But I wanted it anyways and plus Tommy Silva on this old house recommends it for an added moisture barrier. the wall is tied into the sill plate.

this is a walkout basement. So outlets will be the standard height from the floor. GFCI and ACFI protected. And I will put 8 outlets on one circuit for the motorcycle shop/family room and 3 on a second one for future outlets when I do the other foundation wall this winter along with the laundry room.

it'll get drywall for now....but future I want reclaimed barn wood for the walls. I've been looking in the area and lots of half fallen down barns around this area.
    ...awesome...isolate the cool/cold block or concrete from the outside...you did it right with outside foam board...that is your first stop for cold/moisture against the block or concrete...people are starting to realize this...YOU HAVE TO STOP IT FROM THE OTHER SIDE ...not pack insulation from the inside and create moisture/mildew

Not to keen vapor barrier on the walls. Changes in temp increase moisture. I believe they nixed it in the 2012 IRC and IBC.

10. Re: Tomcat's New Garage and workshop

I would use two circuits for the shop outlets. Every other outlet on the other circuit, this way if you are working on one side of the shop you know the next outlet over is the alternate circuit and will avoid over loading. If you do two circuits, no worries abut the outlet count. Good luck and nice work.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

Thread Information