Thread: Indian's for Sale - seperated by the oceans

Indian's for Sale - seperated by the oceans

This Bike was for sale in the US recently - A 1953 Indian Chief engine no CS6767 with possibly a frame number of CS6093.

Link

This bike is for sale in Australia with the original Engine from the 1953 Indian CS6093

Link

I find that very bizarre that this has happened
    From the Australian Seller i got the following email

New message from: sam.xx2011 (126Turquoise Star)
    yar weird.....l was told the frame, bike was involved in an accident and then striped for parts,thats how l got the engine from a dealer, better buy a lottery ticket

Cheers
    741 Bobber Scout - one to ride
    1940 Chief Basket Case - one to fix

www.eamc.asn.au

2. Re: Indian's for Sale - seperated by the oceans

Thanks someozybloke for the heads-up concerning 53 Chief CS6767/CS6093 and its possible vice versa twin. I don’t follow Australia’s eBay, so I would have never seen that listing.
    The CS6767/CS6093 engine/frame listing on the U.S. eBay did appear to be a former Police machine. Other machines in the vicinity of CS6093 are also known to have former Police service. Machines CS6048, CS6054, CS6069, and CS6084 are former Police bikes with CS6084 being from the Philadelphia Police Department; CS6054 and CS6069 being from the New York City Police Department.
    From the Australian listing, the engine’s left side can be seen reasonably well, and I don’t see an engine serial number stamping or a stamping on the coil platform that helps match left and right case halves. The engine might have originally been CS6093, but the photograph does not support that claim.
    The U.S. eBay listing does show the engine stamping CS6767, and that stamping appears to be an original stamping. The U.S. listing does not show the frame stamping that may be CS6093.
    It is possible that the Australia machine is based on paperwork for CS6093, and who knows if that number is actually stamped anywhere?

Re: Indian's for Sale - seperated by the oceans

Steve

Sent an email to the seller in Australia to see if he had any further information and he does not want to provide any further information.

Alas it is how it is... can only go on the information provided in the auctions.
    741 Bobber Scout - one to ride
    1940 Chief Basket Case - one to fix

www.eamc.asn.au

4. Re: Indian's for Sale - seperated by the oceans

Thanks someozybloke for the update. Yes; Alas it is how it is. Bringing original matching engines and frames back together does happen now and then. Last year, I helped a couple of people on opposite ends of the U.S. locate their bike's other half, and at that time neither party wanted to part with their half, but it was gratifying to know that it may happen some day. It doesn't happen very often. In my many years of dealing with Indian serial numbers, I have seen maybe a half dozen separated machines come back together. Generally, it is a once in a lifetime occurrence. The CS6093 machine was likely a Police bike, and former Police bikes have a higher than normal likelihood of having mismatched engines/frames. From what I've seen and heard, Police Departments often had batches of machines with serial numbers that were very close, if not sequential. Former Police bikes will commonly have engine and frame serial numbers that are just a few away from each other. The belief is that engines were removed for service, and swapped for other engines in the then current motor pool. When the bikes were decommissioned and disposed of, there was no concern for putting original engines back with their original frames. Paperwork was no big deal - after all - they were the Police Department!!!
    I'll keep both the U.S. eBay and Australian eBay machines in the same folder. Maybe someday there will be a reunion of whatever is left of those two machines.

Re: Indian's for Sale - seperated by the oceans

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow53Chief View Post
    Thanks someozybloke for the update. Yes; Alas it is how it is. Bringing original matching engines and frames back together does happen now and then. Last year, I helped a couple of people on opposite ends of the U.S. locate their bike's other half, and at that time neither party wanted to part with their half, but it was gratifying to know that it may happen some day. It doesn't happen very often. In my many years of dealing with Indian serial numbers, I have seen maybe a half dozen separated machines come back together. Generally, it is a once in a lifetime occurrence. The CS6093 machine was likely a Police bike, and former Police bikes have a higher than normal likelihood of having mismatched engines/frames. From what I've seen and heard, Police Departments often had batches of machines with serial numbers that were very close, if not sequential. Former Police bikes will commonly have engine and frame serial numbers that are just a few away from each other. The belief is that engines were removed for service, and swapped for other engines in the then current motor pool. When the bikes were decommissioned and disposed of, there was no concern for putting original engines back with their original frames. Paperwork was no big deal - after all - they were the Police Department!!!
    I'll keep both the U.S. eBay and Australian eBay machines in the same folder. Maybe someday there will be a reunion of whatever is left of those two machines.
    Just amazing!

Thread Information