Thread: 1967 LE sidecar on a 1981 FLH Heritage Edition possible?

1. 1967 LE sidecar on a 1981 FLH Heritage Edition possible?

Anybody ever mounted a swing arm mount style sidecar (1936-1979) on a 1980 or later shovelhead? The 1980 and later sidecar frames mounted to the frame downtube lug. I would like to use a 1981 Heritage Edition as the tug. It has a square swing arm. I have the mount that goes on the swing arm. Just wondering is anyone has done this. Thanks in advance.

Re: 1967 LE sidecar on a 1981 FLH Heritage Edition possible?

The later set up is better, but I don't see why you couldn't just bolt onto the swing arm like the previous system used.
    VPH-D

3. Re: 1967 LE sidecar on a 1981 FLH Heritage Edition possible?

Quote Originally Posted by VPH-D View Post
    The later set up is better, but I don't see why you couldn't just bolt onto the swing arm like the previous system used.
    VPH-D
    I have the bracket for the square swing arm, but I am not sure it will fit the 81. Has anyone actually ever tried it? In the part number description, it states fitment only up to 1979

The "fitment" in the description says '79 because that is when the mount was changed to fit the frame. The earlier set-up still fits the swingarm just fine as the frame and swingarm are the same as they were earlier. Sometimes you just need to read between the lines in parts books!!
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

5. Re: 1967 LE sidecar on a 1981 FLH Heritage Edition possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    The "fitment" in the description says '79 because that is when the mount was changed to fit the frame. The earlier set-up still fits the swingarm just fine as the frame and swingarm are the same as they were earlier. Sometimes you just need to read between the lines in parts books!!
    Thanks, I figured it would. Not that familiar with these newer bikes. Just wanted to see if someone had already been down this road.

the swing arm mount will fit the swing arm but the flh brakes were changed about 1980 to the dual piston kelsey hayes caliper and 12" rotor, the brake stay or mount needs to be milled a minor amount to clear the swing arm mount, not sure if the heritage line kept the old banana caliper or the newer dual piston set up, i ran a shovel back in the early eightys with the kelsey hayes brakes and it worked fine, just thinned the brake mount to clear the side car mount. my brakes were the early rotor that squealed like pig any time you applied the rear brake, harleys fix was to cut a groove around the rotor and stretch a wire cable in the groove.

Thread Information