Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Dave's new project

Re: Dave's new project

Great paint job Dave. post some videos of you racing please.

Light and quick is how she truly looks. Nice work Dave !

Now it looks like George Will's bike!!
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

I cant wait to fire it up and get it out on the track.

I sent my painter a picture of Harry Molenaar's 41 WLDR and said I wanted something like this and that's what he came up with!
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1976 FLH

http://1944WL.webs.com

Dave
    I wish I had known. I would have given you the details. The stars on the Molenaar race bike had rounded tips and were hand painted with a brush. That bike sat lonely and rejected in the far corner of the basement leaning against the wall for years with a hummer cuddled up to it. Across from a TA and 52 K-model Harry used to ice race, just past a Gouldcar and a row of knuckles laying on their sides like dominos. Those indeed were the days.
    Regards Dave
    "Never wake up a Dummy, let him sleep. He might wake up and hurt himself." my good friend, John Fitzgerald (Southside Chicago)

Quote Originally Posted by BNSONS View Post
    Dave
    I wish I had known. I would have given you the details. The stars on the Molenaar race bike had rounded tips and were hand painted with a brush. That bike sat lonely and rejected in the far corner of the basement leaning against the wall for years with a hummer cuddled up to it. Across from a TA and 52 K-model Harry used to ice race, just past a Gouldcar and a row of knuckles laying on their sides like dominos. Those indeed were the days.
    Regards Dave
    WOW, that must have been a sight to see Dave. Did you take any pictures?
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1976 FLH

Regards Dave
    What years did the wr sit in Molenaar's basement ?
    Last edited by 1950panhead; 09-10-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Dave
    In those days taking pictures was bad juju, you’d be banned for life. And you never could look for anything you might want; your job was looking for the customers. Harry earned the affectionate pet name Cat Daddy. I would be sweating down there trying to drag bikes to the elevator slipping and sliding on the oil-soaked floor. I’d straighten up to rest my back and catch my breath, turn around and the Mo Man (another pet name) would be standing 3” from me, he’d scare the heck out of me, he sure was sneaky. I guess that’s what happens when you run a business and people take advantage of you. The first time I saw the red, white and blue Molenaar bike was in early 77 at about 2 a.m. I lived next to the shop but only knew Harry from saying hi to him when he walked is dog. So, his alarm goes off, in those days people broke in on what seemed like a regular schedule. So, I hot footed down there and waited for the Mo Man to show up, he only lived about two blocks away. Normally I’d wait outside while he checked the place out. But this time he asked me to go with him. The elevator side of the basement only had 7 light bulbs and only 4 worked. And that’s how it started for me. I tell people when you walk by that stuff day after day it loses its value, it’s just another day. When George bought that bike, I couldn’t tell you. The shop was closed on Wednesdays and that’s when Harry would sell items, you’d never thought he would, so I never asked about them. As the years went by, I finally started asking about some things. But also remembering what his Wife Sig told me once “Dave you ask for a little you get a lot- you ask for a lot you don’t get anything” And listening to Sigs advice worked out for me.
    Regards Dave
    I do have a few pics from later years around here somewhere.
    "Never wake up a Dummy, let him sleep. He might wake up and hurt himself." my good friend, John Fitzgerald (Southside Chicago)

Quote Originally Posted by BNSONS View Post
    Dave
    In those days taking pictures was bad juju, you’d be banned for life. And you never could look for anything you might want; your job was looking for the customers. Harry earned the affectionate pet name Cat Daddy. I would be sweating down there trying to drag bikes to the elevator slipping and sliding on the oil-soaked floor. I’d straighten up to rest my back and catch my breath, turn around and the Mo Man (another pet name) would be standing 3” from me, he’d scare the heck out of me, he sure was sneaky. I guess that’s what happens when you run a business and people take advantage of you. The first time I saw the red, white and blue Molenaar bike was in early 77 at about 2 a.m. I lived next to the shop but only knew Harry from saying hi to him when he walked is dog. So, his alarm goes off, in those days people broke in on what seemed like a regular schedule. So, I hot footed down there and waited for the Mo Man to show up, he only lived about two blocks away. Normally I’d wait outside while he checked the place out. But this time he asked me to go with him. The elevator side of the basement only had 7 light bulbs and only 4 worked. And that’s how it started for me. I tell people when you walk by that stuff day after day it loses its value, it’s just another day. When George bought that bike, I couldn’t tell you. The shop was closed on Wednesdays and that’s when Harry would sell items, you’d never thought he would, so I never asked about them. As the years went by, I finally started asking about some things. But also remembering what his Wife Sig told me once “Dave you ask for a little you get a lot- you ask for a lot you don’t get anything” And listening to Sigs advice worked out for me.
    Regards Dave
    I do have a few pics from later years around here somewhere.
    Great memories Dave and thanks for taking the time to put them down. Its the little details like the 4 bulbs working out of 7 that set the scene
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1976 FLH

Regards Dave
    Dave,
    Thanks for posting the stories, these give a good picture of the past.
    So the wr was in the shop from 1940 to 1977, then sometime between 77 and 99 Molenaar sold it to George and it re-entered the world.

Thread Information